Transfer Credit Evaluation & Notification

Students with prior attempted college credit who are offered admission typically receive a Transfer Credit Evaluation (TCE). The TCE will indicate how attempted coursework (with final grades) from other institutions will transfer to ESU. ESU accepts credits for all modes of coursework delivery once the minimum grade has been earned. (See below for an explanation of Non-Transferable Credits). Coursework in-progress will be evaluated for transfer credit when an official transcript with final grades is received. At that time, an updated TCE will be delivered to you from the Transfer Center.

Estimate Your Transfer Credits: How many of your completed classes will transfer to East Stroudsburg University? We evaluate every student's transcript individually, these tools will help you estimate your credits.

Transferable credit is officially added to a student’s ESU record upon receipt of the official final college/university transcript and upon verification of enrollment.

Course Equivalency Guide: Use our online transfer course equivalency guide to see how your credit will transfer to ESU.

ESU does not accept or deny credits exclusively based on the sending institution's accreditation or mode of coursework delivery. Credit from non-accredited institutions will be reviewed for transfer credit by the Transfer Center staff and/or the relevant ESU academic department. Students may be required to submit additional course information to assist in determining equivalencies.

Credits from Non-US institutions: Credit from foreign institutions are evaluated based upon the recommendations of companies that are approved members of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). Applicants who wish to have transferable credits evaluated must do so directly through a NACES member agency (see list below), and request the agency to forward the results to the ESU Office of Admissions.

Below is a list of some evaluation companies. This is not a comprehensive list of all authorized evaluation companies. East Stroudsburg University prefers that students use the services of companies that are approved members of NACES.

Listing of NACES member companies.

**All students applying for admission to the University with transcripts from a foreign post-secondary educational institution are required to submit an official educational credential evaluation.

Transfer Credit Appeal Process: Students may appeal transfer credit evaluations by contacting the Transfer Center at or (570) 422-2808. The appeal process will encompass a re-evaluation of your coursework by the Transfer Center. Students who appeal an equivalency are required to submit a course syllabus, which provides more detailed information than catalog listings. Students not satisfied with the final transfer credit evaluation may appeal the decision to the chairperson of the academic department relevant to the course/s in question. Full and final discretion rests with the academic departments.

AP/CLEP Credits: For more information regarding advanced placement and CLEP credits please visit College Credits for Exam/Tests.

Acceptable Grades: Credit for courses with a grade of "D-" or better will be considered for transfer credit. While a grade of D- is transferrable for credit, it is up to the Department to determine if the course will need to be repeated.

Non-Transferable Credits: Developmental/remedial courses are not considered transferable.

Transfer Credit Limits: ESU does not have a maximum transfer credit limit. To earn an ESU degree, students must meet all University Requirements that include completing at least 30 of the last 45 credits for a baccalaureate degree at ESU. Final approval of courses counting toward your major rests with the chairperson of your major. Some departments have limits on the total number of credits that can be applied to the major field of study.

  • Be sure to check with the ESU academic department chairperson for the most up-to-date information.
  • Specific requirements for majors, program restrictions, and course offerings may be found in the undergraduate catalog and through the individual academic department homepages.

Contact Us

Ready to Transfer?

Contact Office of Admissions for assistance or (570) 422-3542.

Contact Information

Campus Address
Reibman Administration Building
(570) 422-3542
(570) 422-3933 (Fax)
Title of Department Leader
Interim Assistant Director, Transfer Admissions
Brian Ellis
(570) 422-3027