History and Beliefs
East Stroudsburg Normal School opened its doors on September 4, 1893.
A faculty of fifteen greeted a group of 320 students who had entered the two-year programs in Elementary and Science Education.
Although the Normal School was originally privately owned, ownership was transferred to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in 1920, and the name was changed to East Stroudsburg State Normal School.
In 1927, the right to confer the degrees of Bachelor of Science in Education and Bachelor of Science in Health Education was granted, and the School's name then became the State Teachers College at East Stroudsburg.
In 1960, the College's name was changed to East Stroudsburg State College.
In 1962, the College received the right to confer graduate degrees, and the first three graduate areas were Master's of Education in Biological Sciences, General Science, and Health and Physical Education.
In 1963, the College instituted a Bachelor of Arts degree, and in 1969, the first Master of Arts programs, in History and Political Science, were approved.
In November 1982, the State System of Higher Education was authorized by Senate Bill 506. The College officially became East Stroudsburg University on July 1, 1983.
In 1950, East Stroudsburg State Teachers College first received accreditation from the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. This accreditation was affirmed in 1992 and, most recently, in 2017.
The college officially became East Stroudsburg University on July 1, 1983.
Today East Stroudsburg University is a comprehensive university offering an array of undergraduate and graduate degrees.