ESU has a test-optional admission process and, with a few exceptions*, does not require applicants to submit standardized test scores (SAT or ACT scores) for the admissions process.
This practice allows applicants to decide for themselves whether their test results accurately reflect their academic ability and potential.
The application review process is focused on identifying those students who present a strong academic performance in a rigorous college preparatory curriculum. Our experience shows that the rigor of a student’s academic program and overall academic performance are strong predictors of future success at ESU.
Standardized test scores are used for Math and English placement once enrolled. Enrolled students will be asked to provide scores at that time or to sit for the placement exams offered by the Mathematics and English departments.
Please feel free to contact your Admission Counselor if you have any further questions.
*Please see questions below for more information.
- Are there any programs/majors that require standardized test scores?Yes. The following programs require submission of standardized test scores as part of the review and selection process.
- Biology: Pre-Med (minimum 1100 SAT/ 22 ACT)
- Biology: Pre-Physical Therapy (minimum 1100 SAT/ 22 ACT)
- Biology: Pre-Physician assistant (minimum 1100 SAT / 22 ACT)
- Computer Science (minimum 550 Math SAT / 23 ACT)
- Computer Security (minimum 550 Math SAT / 23 ACT equivalent)
- Mathematics (all concentrations) (minimum 500 MATH SAT / 18 ACT)
- Medical Technology (minimum 1100 SAT / 22 ACT)
- Nursing (minimum 1170 SAT / 24 ACT) - visit esu.edu/nursing for additional entrance requirements
- Pre-Nursing (minimum 1040 SAT / 20 ACT) - visit esu.edu/nursing for additional entrance requirements
- The University Honors Program (minimum 1220 SAT / 25 ACT)
- Are standardized test scores required for scholarship consideration?Yes. Among other criteria, submission of SAT/ACT scores are required for consideration for most academic and merit based scholarships.
- Are standardized test scores required for Math and English course placement once enrolled?Yes. ACT/SAT test scores are used for Math and English course placement. If test scores are not provided, additional testing will be required for placement purposes.