How many credits do I need to transfer to ESU?

An ESU Transfer applicant is a person who has attempted 12 or more college credits following high school graduation. Individuals who have attempted fewer than 12 college credits at the time of application, must apply as a freshmen.

Check the transfer admission requirements for additional information.

Is there a maximum number of credits you'll accept?

ESU does not have a maximum transfer credit limit. To earn an ESU degree, students must meet University Requirements that include completing 30 of the last 60 credits and 50% of the major and minor degree requirements at ESU. Final approval of courses counting toward your major rests with the chairperson of your major. Some departments have limits on the total number of credits that can be applied to the major field of study.

Be sure to check with the academic department chairperson of your major for the most up-to-date academic information, program content and restrictions.

Specific requirements for majors, program restrictions, and course offerings may be found in the undergraduate catalog and through the individual academic department homepages.

When will I know how my credits transferred?

Applicants offered admission receive an official preliminary transfer credit evaluation (TCE) from the Transfer Center with their Offer of Admission or within seven days following their offer of admission. The TCE will indicate how your attempted coursework (with final grades) from other institutions will transfer to ESU. A final official TCE will be completed upon receipt of your official transcripts for coursework in-progress at the time of admission.

Transferable credit is officially added to a student's ESU record upon receipt of the official final college/university transcript and upon verification of enrollment.

You may also use our on-line Transfer Equivalency Guide to see how credits from your prior institution(s) will transfer to ESU.

What is Academic Passport?

If you are a student at a Pennsylvania Community College, Lackawanna College or one of the Pennsylvania State System Universities and are ready to transfer, the Academic Passport is your guaranteed admission to East Stroudsburg University. To qualify you must have a conferred Associate of Arts (AA) or Associate of Science (AS) degree from a Pennsylvania community college, Lackawanna College or at least 12 credits from a Pennsylvania State System University. Students must also have a minimum 2.00 cumulative grade point average. Students holding the Academic Passport from a Pennsylvania community college, Lackawanna College or Pennsylvania State System University will transfer credit according to the Board of Governors Policy titled "The Academic Passport and Student Transfer Policy".

For more information visit the Academic Passport page.

How are credits evaluated for Transfer?

ESU does not accept nor deny credits exclusively based on the sending institution's accreditation or mode of coursework delivery. For additional information, see 'How Credits Transfer'.

Are transfer students eligible for on-campus housing?

ESU’s campus housing inventory includes traditional residence halls, apartment complexes (University Apartments and University Ridge), and suite style residence halls.

Campus housing is guaranteed for transfer students who make their $300 Enrollment Fee, and complete the campus housing application by the respective deadline. After this date, campus housing will be offered subject to availability on a first-come, first-serve basis. Students interested in campus housing must complete the online housing application through their "MyESU" portal after they have submitted their $300 Enrollment Fee.

For more information, please contact the Residence Life & Housing Office at (570) 422-3460 or Housing & Residential Services.

What off-campus housing options are there at ESU for Transfer Students?

Want to live off-campus, the Office of Residence Life can assist by providing a list of available rental units in the area. When local landlords advertise to us that they have apartments/homes/rooms to rent, we compile the list and make it available for interested students. Contact the Residence Life & Housing Office at (570) 422-3460.

I know you need my college transcripts. What about high school?

If transferring without a conferred associate or bachelor's degree, an official high school transcript with graduation date or GED score report from the state of issue is required as proof of graduation or the equivalent.

Applicants with less than 12 attempted college credits at the time of application will be evaluated using a combination of their official college transcripts, and their high school record for admission consideration. An admission decision will be based on all criteria. Therefore, you must submit a final school transcript for admission consideration.

Can I apply on-line?

Definitely! Access our on-line application.

I attended multiple institutions, do you need all of my transcripts?

Yes. An official transcript is required from all college/university or post-secondary institutions attended even if you do not wish to have the credit considered for transfer credit. If you are currently enrolled elsewhere, please request the institution send an official transcript listing your in-progress coursework. Official transcripts must be sent directly from the sending institution (your prior institutions) to: East Stroudsburg University, Office of Admissions, 200 Prospect Street, East Stroudsburg, PA 18301.

Can I speak with an ESU transfer admission counselor?

Absolutely! The ESU transfer staff is here to help you.

  • Alex Lincoln, Assistant Director of Transfer Admission, or (570) 422-3184

Contact Us

Ready to Transfer?

Contact your ESU transfer counselor for assistance.

  • Alex Lincoln, Assistant Director of Transfer Admission (570) 422-3184.

Contact Information

Campus Address
Reibman Administration Building
(570) 422-3542
(570) 422-3933 (Fax)
Title of Department Leader
(877) 230-5547