East Stroudsburg University is one of ten State-owned institutions in the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education whose mission is undertaken in behalf of those who support it the—citizenry—through their governor and legislature, students and alumni, and other friends who share its commitments.
ESU will be an innovative and entrepreneurial university-educationally, socially, organizationally, and culturally-with an emphasis on quality and collaboration in everything we provide. As a scholarly community, its faculty, students, staff, administrators, and affiliates will be encouraged to be innovative and to explore opportunities that will constantly energize and improve its mission as a learning community of the 21st Century. As a "university without walls," its sense of community will extend well beyond campus boundaries to embrace ESU’s surrounding communities and region to become a model that other organizations will want to emulate.
East Stroudsburg University of Pennsylvania will provide:
- Challenging and contemporary undergraduate and graduate curricula that engage and equip students to critically appraise and apply knowledge in their lives and chosen fields of study.
- A scholarly community that promotes diversity and views teaching as the university's primary focus.
- Varied opportunities for student and faculty research, creative endeavors and involvement in public service.
- Leadership and service in the educational, cultural and economic development of the region.
- Achieve Higher Satisfaction, retention and graduation rates in order to increase student success at ESU.
- Build/create a strong sense of community by understanding and living ESU’s mission and values and by building a commitment to our local community and region.
- Develop a reputation for innovation and entrepreneurship by creating a curious, inventive and risk-taking culture.
- Through the work of innovative faculty, help to develop a culture of research and scholarship while rethinking the preparation of successful graduates.
We are committed to the principles of intellectual integrity, freedom of expression, the fair and equal treatment of all, good citizenship, environmental stewardship, and accountability for our actions and the resources entrusted to us.
Purposes and Scope
In pursuit of its mission and vision, East Stroudsburg University seeks to adhere to the following principles in both the development of its strategic plan and its ongoing decision-making processes. Used in conjunction with the values outlined above, ESU is committed to:
- Providing quality, affordable academic programs as well as opportunities for lifelong learning, always focusing on student success.
- Sustaining an intellectually challenging environment that identifies and enhances its students’ and the university community members’ talents.
- Creating opportunities for innovation that focus on high impact teaching and learning both inside, and outside, of the classroom.
- Identifying, recruiting, and retaining students representing a multicultural world who by background, motivation, and commitment can benefit from higher education.
- Attracting and retaining a diverse, recognized, and credentialed faculty committed to excellence in teaching and continuing scholarship.
- Attracting and retaining exemplary faculty, staff members, and administrators who accept responsibility and accountability for the personal, professional, educational, and social values espoused by the University.
- Providing leadership, expertise, and service to its local, regional, and global societies.
- Encouraging opportunities for the university community to develop positive, healthy, and holistic lifestyles.
- Serving as a source of cultural and intellectual programs of importance to students and residents of the region.
- Building and maintaining partnerships to enhance opportunities for students, alumni, and the university community.