Make a Difference. Learn. Teach. Commit.
If you are interested in making a positive difference in the lives of junior high or high school students, you want to teach. At ESU, you major in a content area, and concentrate in Secondary Education. When you graduate, you will have a degree in your chosen content area and a concentration, which is the path to be certified in secondary education (Grades 7-12.). You will have two advisers: one in the major area and one in the department of Professional and Secondary Education (PSED).
ESU’s teacher certification program is nationally accredited through the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation, and has received the "gold standard" as Nationally Recognized.
Major Steps in the Process
- Declare your major: Choose a content area and choose a concentration in Secondary Education.
- Advising: Meet with your PSED adviser every semester. Take Praxis I or meet waived requirements.
- Courses: Take the entry level courses. Maintain a 3.0 QPA.
- Field Experiences: Many education courses have “field experiences.” You must have complete clearances. Review information at the Field Experience office.
- Screening: Please look over the screening process and requirements.
- Content Certification test - recommendation: Pass Certification tests otherwise you will need to before you are certified. Certification Tests: ETS - PA.
- Student teach
- Finishing Up
Graduate: Apply for graduation.
Get Certified: Have a 3.0 QPA (or meet exceptions); make sure that you fulfilled all requirements; apply to the Pennsylvania Department of Education for Certification in your content area or another state.