- Bachelor of Arts in Physics
- Bachelor of Arts in General Science
- Bachelor of Arts in Earth and Space Science
- Bachelor of Science in Biology*
- Bachelor of Science in Chemistry*
Graduates are then eligible for Pennsylvania teacher certification in the program area for grades 7-12 (dependent on grade point average and qualifying score on teacher examination).
The following is a rough correspondence between typical secondary (grades 7-12) courses and the certification type needed to teach that course.
- 7th grade life science: General Science, Biology*
- 8th grade physical science: General Science, Chemistry*, Physics
- 9th grade earth science: General Science, Earth and Space Science
- 10th grade biology: Biology*
- 11th grade chemistry: Chemistry*
- 12th grade physics: Physics
*Note that Chemistry and Biology certifications (marked by an asterisk) are overseen by the biology and chemistry departments, respectively.
ESU’s Secondary Education programs are accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education and are offered in concert with the department of Professional and Secondary Education. Students interested in teaching science in middle school (grades 4-8) should pursue a Bachelor of Science in Mid-Level Education, with a concentration in science.