Most important, use advising meetings to know your students, curricula, and ESU structures better. Learn advisees' names, ask them how they are doing in their classes, and make sure you listen.
- Pin numbers can be found in your portal by going to “Faculty Resources,” “Advisee Listing,” and looking under “Alternate PIN” column.
- Students must meet and discuss coursework with advisor prior to receiving the pin number.
- Ask your advisees to set up a tentative schedule before the meeting, so that your meeting can be more efficient and cover more in-depth topics.
- Ask them to tell you where/how their proposed classes fit in their academic program so that you can be certain that they are learning their program.
- Review Degree Works together to check academic progress and to explain or note any concerns.
- Review their current number of credits and make sure they will meet all degree requirements by their intended graduation date.
- Go over items specific to your programs - for example, PRAXIS tests for education majors, practicum/internship placements, common errors, and so on.
- The advising meeting can be an opportunity to discuss extracurricular or co-curricular options to consider during their academic experience at ESU. Examples include study abroad, professional conference attendance, service learning opportunities, career development, majors’ clubs, professional association involvement, etc.
- Give advisees access to registration by providing them with their registration pin number.
- Always take notes, either on a hard copy sheet, electronically in Degree Works via notes tab, or by some other system. Make sure both you and the student retain or have access to a copy. It is also advisable to have both you and student sign and date the notes to denote that both have reviewed and agree with recommendations and meeting discussion points. This allows both you and the student to review later what you decided at your meeting, and it can help clarify the advice you gave as your advisees proceed in their academic careers.
- Campus Address
- Reibman Administration Building
- (570) 422-3539
- (570) 422-3519 (Fax)
- Title of Department Leader
- Interim Provost and Vice President Academic Affairs
- Margaret J. Ball