What Distinguishes ESU's M.A. in Political Science?
ESU’s comprehensive curriculum is the only master’s degree Program in political science with the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education.
The program is also distinctive in its approach to students. With the goal of engaging students one on one, faculty create a mentoring environment that develops strong student/faculty relationships.
A culture of open give and take encourages students to expand their intellectual horizons. In addition, the department fosters diversity and many international students call ESU home.
- Are you a strategic thinker ready to take your undergraduate degree to the next level?
- Do you want to become a leader and change agent in politics government, education or international relations?
- Are you seeking a doctoral degree in political science?
ESU’s master’s degree in political science is the next step to senior leadership positions in these and other areas.
Our program also offers exceptional internship opportunities to help you achieve your leadership goals:
- The Washington Center – Semester or summer long integrated academic and work experience in government, corporate and nonprofit organizations. Each internship is tailored to provide meaningful work experiences that will enhance resumes and will help launch careers.
- Pennsylvania House of representatives Legislative Office of Research Liaison Internship (LORL) – Field-learning experiences for the integration of students’ classroom theory and practice in the real world.
- The Harrisburg Internship Semester – An opportunity to apply academic experiences and knowledge to the challenges of managing the business of government while earning a salary and receiving academic credit.
About half of our graduate students seek a PhD. in political science with the goal of teaching. Virtually all ESU master’s degree students who apply to doctoral programs are accepted.
Other graduates seek senior leadership positions in politics, the federal government, the Department of State, foreign affairs or law.
Other Careers Include
Candidates for the M.A. in political science must hold a bachelor’s degree with a strong academic record and demonstrate strong analytical and writing skills.