This page provides some helpful information for those students wishing to purchase a computer to bring to ESU. There are also 10 computer labs on campus for student access.
Desktop versus Laptop
- Desktop computers are larger and weigh more than a portable, but are generally less expensive and have a larger monitor. They have more computing power for a given price. Desktops remain ON the desktop because of their size. Consider space limitations in the residence hall rooms when buying a desktop.
- Portables are small and light enough to carry to classes, the library or home to work on assignments. Unlike the desktop, portables are usually self-contained and require less space to use. Consider where you will want to use your computer when deciding between a desktop and a portable.
- Be certain you are comfortable with the video display, keyboard and mouse. Type at least one page of text as a test drive. It is a good idea to keep a copy of the warranty information and the computer manufacturer's tech support number with the computer.
Mac vs. Windows
A Windows-compatible system is strongly recommended for you to run software that may be required in your classes. If you're a fan of Apples, you're not necessarily out of luck, you may be able to use Virtual PC or Apple's Boot Camp software to allow you to dual-boot your Intel-based Mac into Windows. PC's are a de facto standard at ESU and it will be up to you to ensure that you can run the software required for your coursework. You're best bet is to ask your department what they suggest/require.
Guidelines to consider, when purchasing a PC:
REMEMBER: It is a good idea to buy a computer with as much memory (RAM) and hard drive space as you can afford. A USB Thumb Drive (lexar, Iomega, sandisk are three quality brands) is another good investment. A Thumb Drive, or external hard-drive, allows you to transport your files to other computers.
Average model : for basic applications (word processing, spreadsheets, desktop publishing, Internet access, educational software.) This model is sufficient for most student's needs.
High end model : for multi-media applications (3D modeling, video production, etc...) For the more advanced computer user.
i5 3.8GHz-4.5GHz - 2.4GHz
i9 4.8 - 5GHz
|Memory||8GB||16GB - 32GB|
|Hard Drive||250 - 320GB||500GB - 1TB|
|Drives||DVD/CD-RW (optional)||Blu-Ray (optional)|
|Screen||15.6"||15.6"-17" (or beyond)|
Web-cam / Distance Learning
Web-cams are essential to distance learning. Please ensure the device you purchase includes one, if you don't already have one.
Word processing or spreadsheet software:
Many PCs are sold bundled with word processing and spreadsheet software. The campus standard for these applications is Microsoft Office Word (word processor), Excel (spreadsheet), PowerPoint (presentation software) and Access (database). The entire Office2010 Suite is standard on campus. Student versions of this software is available from our bookstore or can be purchased from other online sites with valid student identification (usually an ESU email address).
Virus protection software
It is essential to protect your computer against computer viruses. McAfee and Norton sell good products that when configured correctly, stay up-to-date with the latest data files. Microsoft Security Essentials is free and is recommended over other free antivirus software.
If you wish to include wireless capability in a laptop purchase, consider the 802.11g or n(WiFi) technology to remain compatible with campus standards.
- Surge protector to protect your computer equipment from electrical surges. Diskettes or Thumb Drives (you will eventually present materials in class so thumb drives can be useful for such purposes.)
- Students are responsible for insuring their computers. Check with your insurance carrier for the specifics on your homeowner policy.
- If you are buying a new computer, you must open and test it before bringing it to campus. Plug in all connections and power on the computer, making sure everything works correctly. That's one less thing to worry about on move-in day!