The ESU Communication Sciences & Disorders program has an on-campus clinic equipped with the technology and materials that better prepare students for externship placements.
The program offers its students an on-campus facility that provides supervised hours and experience before going out into the field. The clinic’s client base is extensive and offers real world experience with individuals who have a variety of disorders. Work with groups and off campus screenings are also included.
The Communication Sciences & Disorders (M.S.) program at ESU prepares its students for exciting and satisfying careers as professional speech-language pathologists and speech-language therapists.
The program prepares students to:
- take the ETS Praxis Exam in Speech-Language Pathology which is a requirement for the Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC).
- be eligible for a Pennsylvania license in speech–language pathology.
- complete requirements for the Instructional I Certificate (Teacher of the Speech–Language Impaired) in Pennsylvania schools (with the completion of certain education courses, a student teaching semester, and required state testing). The choice of the school certification option may lengthen the students' degree program.
- gain experience at the East Stroudsburg University Speech & Hearing Center in Monroe Hall.
- earn placements various schools and medical facilities locally and in several states.
All students in the program complete both a school-based placement and a medically based internship placement. Placements are generally in eastern Pennsylvania or New Jersey, but other locations may be possible with some planning.
Research opportunities include the writing and presentation of a thesis paper. Or students can work with faculty members on faculty-led projects.
Professional Licensure Disclosures and Distance Learning State Authorization: Applicants who are applying to programs that may lead to licensure in states other than Pennsylvania must be aware of the various state professional licensure requirements. Please see ESU's professional licensure disclosures, Evaluation of Conduct Record, and check licensure requirements by occupation and state at CareerOneStop.