About the Program
The primary focus of this certificate program is to provide concentrated knowledge in gerontology to supplement the course work completed in the student’s academic major.
The Gerontology Certificate Program will prepare students to work directly or indirectly with older adults.
Facts about Older Adults
- Between 2010 & 2060, the United States is projected to experience rapid growth in the older population
- In 2014 there were 46.2 million Americans over the age of 65
- By 2060 the population should be 98 million
- The older population is more likely to require services (especially people over 90)
- Several will live in nursing homes, but the majority live independently and have difficulty with self-care, running errands and preparing meals
The older population will need a variety of community and residential services, and this need will expand with increasing age. The Gerontology Certificate program is a vital part of preparation. This is open to students of all majors.