About the Program
Facts about Older Adults
- Between 2010 & 2060, the United States is projected to experience rapid growth in the older population
- In 2014 there were 46.2 million Americans over the age of 65
- By 2060 the population should be 98 million
- The older population is more likely to require services (especially people over 90)
- Several will live in nursing homes, but the majority live independently and have difficulty with self-care, running errands and preparing meals
The older population will need a variety of community and residential services, and this need will expand with increasing age. The Gerontology Certificate program is a vital part of preparation. This is open to students of all majors.