Master of Arts in Political Science
- Students will demonstrate an in-depth of knowledge of the schools of thought, theories, models, and issues within the political science discipline.
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of multiple research designs and methodologies, both quantitative and qualitative and have the ability to conduct political science research involving the development of research questions, a research design, gathering and collecting data, quantitative and qualitative analysis, and presenting the results in a logical and professional manner.
- Students will demonstrate critical thinking skills in understanding and evaluating theories, ideas, and issues across the four subfields of political science: American Government and Public Administration, Political Theory, Comparative Government, and International Relations.
- Students will demonstrate professional and academic ethics.
- Students will demonstrate an ability to communicate effectively through their written work. Students will be prepared to pursue public or non-profit sector work, and/or doctoral studies in political science or law school.
Master of Science in Management and Leadership – Public Administration & Policy
- Students will be able to demonstrate the leadership, managerial, and organizational competencies and skills necessary to effectively manage change, quality, productivity, and diversity in public or non-profit organizations.
- Students will demonstrate the research skills necessary to analyze and evaluate public policies and programs and professionally communicate the findings within the context of local, state, national, or international governance.
- Students will demonstrate critical thinking skills in understanding and evaluating theories, models, techniques, ideas and issues in the public administration and public policy disciplines, and synthesize the knowledge to form an intellectual basis for professional practice.
- Students will demonstrate an ability to adhere to and support the professional ethics of public administration.
- Students will demonstrate an ability to communicate effectively through their written work.
- Students will be prepared to pursue public or non-profit sector work, and/or doctoral studies in public administration.
At the graduate level, rubrics are also used to assess student achievement of learning outcomes using locally-developed rubrics.
Additionally, comprehensive exams are required of students in the M.A. in Political Science and M.S. in Management and Leadership - Public Administration & Policy to assess achievement program and student learning outcomes.
Lastly, the M.A. in Political Science require a research project and a thesis respectively as direct measures to assess program student learning outcomes.