In order to change status while in the U.S. from a temporary specialty worker (H-1B) or worker dependent (H-4) to a student (F-1) status you will need to be admitted to a full-time academic program at a school that can issue a Form I-20. You must also be in the U.S. and in valid H-1B/H-4 status at the time you request this change.

Valid Reason for Change

As an H-1B/H-4, you are able to attend school part-time or full-time, providing it does not interfere with your primary purpose of working in the U.S.; therefore, you will need a valid reason for requesting the change to F-1, such as:

  • An offer of a graduate student assistantship by the school you will attend;
  • A written request from your sponsor requesting your change to F-1;
  • Your H-1/H-4 status is expiring and/or you want to complete another degree; or
  • You are turning 21 and can no longer remain an H-4 dependent of your H-1B parent.

Application Procedure

Your request to the US Citizenship and Immigration Services for change of status should consist of the following:

  • Completed Form I-539 with the processing fee (check or money order made payable to Department of Homeland Security).
  • Receipt for paying the SEVIS I-901 Fee.
  • Original Form I-20 signed and dated by you and issuing school
  • Original Form I-94 (you are very strongly encouraged to keep a copy of the front and back of the Form I-94)
  • Financial verification
  • If in H-1B status, copies of all I-797 approval notices. If in H-4 status, copies of all of spouse's/parent's I-797 approval notices for H-1B status, copies of both sides of their I-94 card, and copies of any I-797 approval notices for H-4 status
  • A letter from the employer of the H-1B confirming that the H-1B is still employed under all terms and conditions of the original H-1B petition is highly recommended
  • Copies of the pages in each individuals passport that include biographical information, passport picture, and passport expiration
  • Statement of why you need to change from H-1B or H-4 to F-1 status

It is recommended that this application be sent by certified mail with a return-receipt

For most current mailing information, please follow the instructions located on your Form I-539.

Contact Us

For more information about international programs, please contact the office.

Contact Information

Campus Address
Stroud Hall 103
(570) 422-3527
(570) 422-3579 (Fax)
Title of Department Leader
Interim Director International Study Programs
Steven Ives