To apply for a Social Security Number

Students will be required to complete an Application For A Social Security Card (Form SS-5), along with proving original documents proving your:

  • Immigration status
  • Work eligibility
  • Age
  • Identity

Immigration status

To prove your immigration status, you must show your current U.S. immigration document, I-94, Arrival/Departure Record, issued to you when you arrived in the United States. If you are an F-1 or M-1 student, you also must show your Form I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status. If you are a J-1 exchange visitor, you must show your Form DS-2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status.

Work eligibility

If you are an F-1 student and eligible to work on campus, you must provide a letter from the Office of International Programs.

Another letter is required from your employer. Your supervisor must sign and date the employment letter. This letter must describe:

  • Your job
  • Your employment start date
  • The number of hours you are, or will be, working
  • Your supervisor's name and telephone number

If you are an F-1 student authorized to work in Curricular Practical Training (CPT), you must provide your Form I-20 with the employment page (page 3) completed and signed with a valid travel signature.

If you are an F-1 student and have an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) from DHS, you must present it.

If you are a J-1 student, you must provide a letter from your Responsible Officer (RO) or Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO). The letter should be on official letterhead with an original signature that authorizes your employment.

Your application cannot be processed if:

  • Your on-campus or CPT work begins more than 30 days from your application date; or
  • The employment start date on your EAD is a future date.


You must present your birth certificate if you have it or can easily obtain it. If not, other documents can be considered, such as your passport or a document issued by DHS, to prove your age.


Certain documents can be accepted as proof of identity. An acceptable document must be current (not expired) and show your name, identifying information and preferably a recent photograph. Social Security will ask to see your current U.S. immigration documents.

All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. Photocopies or notarized copies of documents will not be accepted. You cannot use a receipt showing you applied for the document. You may use one document for two purposes. For example, you may use your DHS work permit as proof of both work eligibility and identity. However, you must provide at least two separate documents.

The Office of International Programs will provide students with a letter of support to bring along with the required materials listed above.

Take your completed application and original documents to your local Social Security office.

The nearest Social Security Administration office is located at:

Social Security Administration
STE 101
9090 Franklin Hill Road
East Stroudsburg, PA 18301

Contact Us

For more information about international programs, please contact the office.

Contact Information

Campus Address
Stroud Hall 103
(570) 422-3527
(570) 422-3579 (Fax)
Title of Department Leader
Interim Director International Study Programs
Steven Ives