As an F-2 visa holder, you are not eligible to be a full-time student and you are
not able to take courses on a part-time basis that can be applied toward a degree-granting
program. Therefore, if you wish to study full time, you must apply for a change of
status from F-2 to F-1. F-2 visa holders may not enroll in school after they have
applied for change of status to F-1 while the application is pending. They may also
not receive wages or compensation of any kind until the F-1 status is approved.
In order to change status while in the U.S. from a dependent (F-2) to a student (F-1) status you will need to be admitted to a full-time academic program at a school that can issue you a Form I-20. In addition, your F-1 spouse must be in the U.S. and in status when you are requesting this change.
Note: If you are traveling outside the U.S., you can accomplish the change of status upon re-entry if you take your Form I-20 and financial documents with you and obtain an F-1 Visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Upon obtaining the F-1 visa, you can enter the U.S. as an F-1 student.
Your request for change of status to the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) should consist of the following:
- Completed Form I-539 with the processing fee (check or money order made payable to Department of Homeland Security); for the most current fee information visit www.uscis.gov.
- Receipt for paying the SEVIS I-901 Fee
- Original Form I-20 signed and dated
- Original Form I-94 (you are very strongly encouraged to keep a copy of the front and back of the Form I-94)
- Financial verification
- Copies of your spouse's valid Immigration forms: I-94, I-20
- Copies of the pages in each individuals passport that include biographical information, passport picture, and passport expiration
- For further information please see instructions located in Form I-539.
- Make an appointment at the Office of International Programs to review the above documents
Note: If you have been offered an assistantship, please include and highlight in your letter.