International students must provide the following documents to obtain a Pennsylvania driver's license:
- A letter from the Office of International Programs.
- Passport, visa, and I-94 number
- Form I-20 or Form DS-2019.
- Two documents showing proof of residence.
- Preferred documents include leases, housing contracts or mortgage papers; utility bills; and W-2 tax forms. The Driver's License Office has been willing to accept other documents, such as a letter from the Office of Residence Life & Housing mailed to their on-campus residence.
- Social Security Card if you are eligible.
- If you cannot obtain a Social Security Card, you must obtain a letter from the Social Security Office stating that you are ineligible for one. The DMV will then use the Admission number on your I-94.
Length of time on Form I-20 or Form DS-2019
Students and spouses must have at least one year left before the completion date in
section 5 of the Form I-20 or the end date in section 3 of the Form DS-2019 in order
to qualify for an initial driver's license. Students applying for Optional Practical
Training qualify for a license if the end date of the OPT on page 3 of the Form I-20
is more than one year from the date they apply for a license.
For renewal of Pennsylvania Driver's Licenses, you do not need to have 12 months left on the visa document; licenses can be renewed until the end date on the Form I-20 or Form DS-2019.
Nearest PennDot location:
4218 Manor Drive
Stroudsburg, PA 18360
Hours: Tuesday - Saturday, 8:30 AM - 4:15 PM (CLOSED on Mondays)
- Campus Address
- Stroud Hall 103
- (570) 422-3527
- (570) 422-3579 (Fax)
- Title of Department Leader
- Interim Director International Study Programs
- Steven Ives