If your benefit question is not answered below, please contact a member of our customer service team at (570) 422-3422 or email askhr@esu.edu. We are here to help you!

Benefits - Health Benefits

Benefits - Life Insurance & Long-Term Disability

Benefits - Retirement

Benefits - Tuition Waiver

Benefits - Workers Compensation

Benefits - State Employee's Assistance Program (SEAP)

Benefits - Leave and Long Term Disability

  • If I’m out sick do I need a doctor’s note?
    If you are out sick for three or more consecutive days, a doctor’s note is required to return to work.
  • What if I need to take an extended leave of absence?
    Review your Collective Bargaining Agreement if you are part of a unit for the different types of leave available to you. You can also consult with HR on what documentation is needed.
  • What if I am placed on a leave of absence without pay?
    You have been placed on a leave without pay, which may be due to military, sick, parental, cyclical, or work related leave or an approved absence. Since you are not receiving a pay, the premiums that would normally be deducted from your paycheck must be paid.
  • Can I set up a payment plan?
    No. All premiums are due by the due date listed on the invoice.
  • How do I know what my premiums are?
    Our billing only includes PASSHE Medical and Voluntary Insurances (ADD, VGLlP, LTD). PASSHE Medical is applicable to APSCUF, Coaches, SPFPA, or OPEIU unions and non-represented employees. All premium amounts are listed on your pay statement. An electronic copy of your most recent pay statement can be found on ESS (portal.passhe.edu). If you are still unsure of your premiums amount you may contact your university benefit coordinator.
  • Why is my PEBTF Medical coverage not showing on my bill?
    If you are an AFSCME or SCUPA employee, your medical benefits are with the PEBTF. While on a leave without pay, the PEBTF will bill you for your medical premiums.
  • When can I expect to see a bill from the PEBTF for Medical coverage?
    The Pennsylvania Employees Benefit Trust Fund (PEBTF) bills at the beginning of each month. You can expect to see a bill shortly after the beginning of each month after your leave without pay begins. To make a payment, you can go to Pennsylvania Employees Benefit Trust Fund (PEBTF) and select “Make a Payment” in the upper right corner of the site.
  • If I have a question regarding my PEBTF premiums, who can I contact?
    The Pennsylvania Employees Benefit Trust Fund (PEBTF) can be contacted at (800) 522-7279, Option 3 and then Option 2, for employees on leave without pay OR https://www.pebtf.org and navigate to "make a payment" in the upper right corner of the site.
  • How do I apply for Long Term Disability (LTD)?
    Instructions on how to report a disability claim through CIGNA
  • What should I do if I apply for Long Term Disability (LTD)?
    If you are applying for long term disability and have been on a leave of absence, please notify us immediately. Premiums must be paid up to date for approval of your disability. Failure to pay these premiums may result in your Long Term Disability (LTD) benefit being denied. If you are approved for LTD benefits, please notify your benefit coordinator so we can stop your premium deductions.
  • When will my missed premiums be deducted?
    If you do not receive a bill, any missed premiums will be deducted from your first pay upon return from your leave of absence without pay. If you do not return, missed premiums will be taken from any wages you receive and/or you will be sent an invoice.
  • What if I separate during my leave of absence?
    If you separate before returning from your leave of absence, any outstanding premiums will be automatically deducted from any final wages you may receive. If you receive no wages, a bill will be sent to you and you will owe the premiums missed while on your active leave of absence. If you do not pay these premiums, coverage will be cancelled retroactive and you will be responsible for any claims incurred during that time period. You will also not be offered the option to convert any of your group policies.
  • How much time will I have to pay my bill?
    You have 30 days to pay for your missed premiums. Please note premiums will accrue every two weeks as biweekly checks are missed.
  • If I have any other questions, who can I contact?
    If your question relates to leave, please contact your university benefits coordinator. If your question relates to billing, please contact Julie Cramer at (717) 720-4108 or jcramer@passhe.edu

Contact Us

If your benefit question is not answered above, please contact a member of our customer service team at (570) 422-3422 or email askhr@esu.edu. We are here to help you!

Contact Information

Campus Address
Reibman Administration Building
(570) 422-3422
(570) 422-3450 (Fax)
Title of Department Leader
Director Human Resources
Teresa Fritsche
(570) 422-3422