University employees and volunteers must complete background screenings as required by the University policy.
This includes employees or volunteers of an external vendor or a campus group who are engaged to provide services during camps, campus events, rental events, and conferences on the University campus.
The three required screenings are:
- FBI Federal Criminal History Record
- PA Child Abuse History Clearance
- PA State Criminal Record Check
Background Checks Information
The University will work with our current vendor (Justifacts) to complete two of the background checks (PA State Criminal check and Child Abuse History Clearance). You will receive an email from Justifacts with a link, payment code and instructions on completing the child abuse application. You will have 72 hours to complete the background check authorization process after that the link will expire.
In addition, you will need to complete the FBI fingerprints by registering with Identogo and visiting the site to have the fingerprints taken.
Payment codes for the fingerprints can be obtained by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Prior to starting employment at ESU all background check clearances must be completed as mandated by the PA State Legislation Act 153 as it related to Act 114 and Act 151.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What application purpose should I select for the child abuse clearance?
The application purpose is: Individual 14 years of age or older who is applying for or holding a paid position as an employee with a program, activity or service, as a person responsible for the child’s welfare or having direct contact with children.
- I did not receive my child abuse clearance who can I contact?
To obtain a copy of your child abuse clearance you must contact the Compass Hotline at (877) 343-0494.
- What is a Keystone ID?
The keystone ID is a username you create when completing the child abuse clearance application. You will need to save this username for future access to the child welfare site to obtain your clearance results.
- I continue to receive email reminders from Justifacts to upload my clearance results
what do I need to do?
In order for ESU to access your child abuse clearance results, you must upload the child abuse certificate to the link that is provided in the email from Justifacts.
- I have not received my Fingerprint results what should I do?
You must contact the IdentoGO to request a duplicate at (844)321-2101.
- Where do I go to get my fingerprints taken?
The closest fingerprint location to the University is located at: Dawn’s Tag & Title, 5224 Milford Rd #155, East Stroudsburg, PA 18302. The office hours are Monday through Friday 9:30 am – 6:30 pm and Saturday, 9:00 am – 2:30 pm. Appointments are highly recommended as walk-in will be asked to wait until all appointments have been processed.
- What is the service code for the Identogo fingerprint site?
The service code is 1KG756.
- I already complete my clearances for my major, do I have to do them again for student
employment at ESU?
If you completed your clearances for your major at ESU within the current year, you can provide a copy of the PA State Criminal check, Child Abuse History Clearance and the FBI fingerprint results to HR. You will not need to redo the clearances.
- How long are the background check clearances valid for?
They are valid for 5 years.
- How much are the clearances?
The university will cover the cost of all the clearances that are done for employment and volunteer purposes at ESU.
- I would like to request a copy of my completed background check clearances?
You can request a copy of your clearances by emailing email@example.com. The turnaround time for copies is usually 3 – 5 business days.
- I obtained the same clearances for employment at another company, can I provide a
copy of those clearances for employment at ESU?
Yes, we can accept clearances from other employment as long as they are current. If you have done the clearances for a volunteer purpose we will not be able to accept them. They must be done for employment only.