The LiveSafe app provides students, faculty and staff with a direct connection to campus safety. Its easy-to-use features help you stay safe every day and enable University Police to better protect you.
- Share information, tips and safety concerns with campus safety via text messaging, including picture, video, and audio attachments, or even through live chat.
- Stay anonymous anytime, or send your user information and location to ESU Police as soon as you call or message, allowing faster response times.
- Activate SafeWalk, a GPS-tagged monitoring feature to let your friends and family keep you covered until you arrive safely to your destination.
Reporting Tips & Emergencies
LiveSafe is actively monitored by ESU Police between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 3:00 a.m. Messages sent at other hours will be reviewed the following morning.
Emergencies: Always call 911.
Tips and other non-emergencies: Use LiveSafe or contact University Police at 570-422-3064.
Download & Set Up LiveSafe
LiveSafe is provided free by ESU to all students, parents, faculty, and staff members. Supported on Apple iOS and Android operating systems, it is available for download from both the iTunes Store and Google Play.
- Download the app from Google Play or the iOS App Store.
- Select "East Stroudsburg University" as your affiliation.
- Fill in your user profile.
- You're set! Start using the app to stay safe every day.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why would someone use this app in an emergency?
So long as users have the capacity to make voice calls, we encourage anyone in an emergency to always call 9-1-1. If, however, a user is unable to make a direct call due to situational or technical issues, or if they must be discrete, then LiveSafe reporting becomes advantageous. Additionally, when the Emergency button is used to dial 9-1- 1, dial campus police, or message campus police, location services are enabled to help emergency personnel find your location.
- If I download LiveSafe, can law enforcement see my location whenever they want?
No. Your location is only sent to the East Stroudsburg University Police when you submit a tip (anonymous or not) or use one of the features within the Emergency button (Call 911, Call Campus Police, or Message Campus Police). When you submit a tip, your current location is only submitted once and is attached to that tip – tracking is not enabled. However, when you use the Emergency Options button, your location is tracked until you stop location tracking within the Emergency button screen.
- Is the anonymous feature really anonymous if I have filled out my user profile or
if I use the chat feature?
Yes, it is. If you check the “Send Anonymously” box when submitting a tip, your user information will show up as “Anonymous” in all of the fields. Even if the University Police uses the Live Chat feature to obtain additional information, you will still appear as anonymous.
- When I first download LiveSafe, why is the app asking to access my contacts?
The app will ask to access your contacts so you can easily add friends and family members to your LiveSafe contact list. This list is used for SafeWalk.
- Do I need to enable location services for LiveSafe for it to work?Yes. In order for the location-dependent features to work – like SafeWalk, tip submittal, and location tracking during emergency calls and messages – LiveSafe needs to be able to access your location. You will not be actively tracked when the app is not in use and when you are using non-location-dependent features.
- What if a tip I submit to University Police turns out to be a mistake?Users will not be penalized for making claims that turn out to be untrue. So long as reports aren’t purposefully and falsely claimed, people are encouraged to share information.