Permit Application Instructions
Students residing on main campus who have completed 60 credits, or are at least 21 years of age or have veteran status, automatically receive parking privileges.
Special permission to register a motor vehicle may be granted to students housed on main campus under the age of 21 or having less than 60 credits who do not meet the specified criteria for vehicle registration, but have mitigating circumstances that warrant special consideration. Special permission may be granted for the reasons listed below. However, it is not automatic even if part of a condition is met.
The Parking Appeals Committee that meets on a regularly scheduled basis will review all requests on a first come, first serve basis. Applications will be accepted each semester until all Special Permission parking spaces are filled. All requests must be accompanied by the appropriate documentation listed below:
- Medical: This required a physician’s statement on his/her stationery detailing the student’s medical condition that cannot be treated locally. They physician’s statement must include the frequency of treatment
- Financial/Employment: Verification through the University’s Financial Aid Office will determine whether or not the student has an unmet financial need, a requirement to obtain a Special Permission Parking Permit. If you have not applied for financial aid, this cannot be assessed. In addition, a statement on the employer’s letterhead or a notarized note certifying the nature of the position and requested time period is required. Due to the limited number of parking spaces available, employment to supplement income for educational purposes WILL NOT be considered an extenuating circumstance unless there exists verifiable need as defined by the University’s Financial Aid Office
- Academically Related: This requires a statement from the student’s professor, department chairperson or academic advisor attesting to the academic related activity and its significance in benefitting his/her academic curriculum (e.g., internship, pre-student teaching, observations, off campus classes, etc.)
If you have other concerns, please call the Office of Residence Life & Housing at (570) 422-3460.
Please return this form and appropriate documentation to:
- Office of Residence Life
- 200 Prospect St.
- East Stroudsburg, PA 18301
- or fax to (570) 422-3952
The Special Permission parking permit cost is $70 for the semester and students must apply each semester. Students are not permitted to bring their vehicle to campus before being granted approval of their Special Permission permit and having picked it up from the Parking Office.
- Individuals with restricted permits must park in the Gwendolyn Street parking lot (R42) at all times, including nights and weekends. Only if the Gwendolyn Street lot R42 is full may individuals with restricted permits park in the Marguerite Street Lot (CR40), returning the vehicle to the Gwendolyn Street lot within 24 hours
- Students applying for a Special Permission parking permit may not purchase a resident, commuter or University Ridge permit through the MyESU Portal. Doing so is considered a fraudulent purchase and is therefore non-refundable. Once approved for a Special Permission parking permit, students will be instructed to pick up an approval card from Residence Life and Housing to be completed and taken to the Parking Office for the issuance of the permit and to complete paperwork authorizing the permit fee to be placed on their student account
- Students granted special exception to these regulations that receive five or more parking tickets (paid or unpaid) within a semester may have their parking privileges revoked. Those with ten or more may be reported to Student Conduct and Community Standards