The purpose of the East Stroudsburg University website is to support and effectively communicate information of interest concerning the university to the general public, the internal ESU community and to other specific audiences such as university alumni, through the World-Wide Web.
Reason for Policy:
The website is the university’s primary point of information about ESU and its services, therefore the website must provide a clear and consistent experience to visitors.
The ESU homepage banners are used to highlight stories that rise above our daily
stories. These are stories that:
- feature our ESU brand attributes: Entrepreneurial, International/Global, Accessible, Community-focused and are ideally located.
- appeal to the perspective students
- are aimed at the main homepage audience, prospective students, and are not general informational updates (e.g., general events, professor award, HR updates)
Requests to place content on the home page should be directed to the director of web services. Space on the home page is limited, and as such, priorities are based on the size of the intended audience and support of university goals.
Link requests for the homepage should be directed to the director of web services. Links are intended to provide general university information and direct users to needed sub-sites.
The official East Stroudsburg University website and website branding encompasses and applies to all university colleges, academic departments and programs, administrative offices, sub-sites and website applications. Exceptions include unofficial websites (see below) and extraordinary single event sites.
Unofficial ESU Websites
Unofficial websites are sites hosted by ESU for university approved individuals, groups, organizations and clubs. These websites include personal faculty, staff and student websites as well as approved university group, club and organization websites.
- Unofficial websites are not acceptable replacements for official university websites or pages. In addition, unofficial websites should never claim to be the official source of information for university content and/or drive users to unofficial websites at the expense of official websites.
- Approved and recognized ESU student group websites, approved and recognized ESU club websites and approved and recognized ESU organization websites must be hosted by ESU in order to use ESU branding, receive support, and in order to be linked to by official ESU web pages. Exceptions for web pages hosted by national or state organizations may be made at the discretion of the director of web services.
- All approved and recognized student organization websites will be under the oversight of the director of student activities and will be served at his or her discretion. The student organization's advisor will serve as the supervisor of the specific organizational website and bear responsibility for the content and maintenance of the organization's website.
- East Stroudsburg University allows creation of personal websites on university equipment as a service to the university community. Personal websites are considered unofficial websites and are not part of the university's official website.
- The university allows for personal pages that provide information about an individual that is relevant to that individual's role at the university.
- East Stroudsburg University resources may not be used to create web pages primarily for personal business or personal gain.
- The official East Stroudsburg University home page will not link directly to personal pages.
- The views expressed on these pages are strictly those of the individual authors or groups and the following statement will appear on all pages indicating this: "The views and opinions expressed in this page are strictly those of the page author. The contents of this page have not been reviewed or approved by East Stroudsburg University."
- The term Webmaster shall not be used to identify the author of any personal website.
- Although East Stroudsburg University does not actively monitor unofficial webpages, the university will investigate all complaints involving unofficial web pages and reserves the right to remove or block material that violates federal or state law or university policy.
The engagement of external website vendors for the purposes of designing or creating university web pages is strongly discouraged.
All requests for external website services must be reviewed by the director of web services.
East Stroudsburg University does not control or guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness or completeness of information of external websites that may be linked to through the official website or through unofficial websites.
In accordance with the Web Accessibility Initiative, East Stroudsburg University strives to ensure all users, regardless of disability, can access official university websites. As such, all official university web pages, must comply with the Web Accessibility Guidelines located at www.w3.org/WAI
Website – A group of related web pages accessed from a single point or domain through the internet. A web page is a text document that incorporates text and digital files through a markup language.
Home page – The initial or starting index page of a website. The first page served when visiting a website.
Website Branding – The graphical layout, colors, fonts and logos used in a website’s design.
Sub-sites – Smaller self-contained websites that are located or served from below the top level domain of a main website.
Website Applications – Programs running and/or providing a service on the website.
Personal Websites and Personal Pages – Websites and webpages that represent an individual or group rather than the organization. Commonly contain personal rather than organizational information.
Web Master – The person responsible for maintaining a website and supervising website access and content. External Website Vendors – Contractors and outside vendors who sell website-related services including website design and website hosting.
Other Relevant Information: