Request for Research Space Procedure
The following procedure will be used for the allocation of Research Space on campus for university employees/faculty.
- The Provost shall form a committee which will be charged with soliciting proposals, deliberating, prioritizing, and assigning all Research Space (currently limited to Hoeffner Science and Technology Center).
- The committee shall invite proposals at the end of each semester for the subsequent academic year.
- The email soliciting proposals for occupying Research Spaces will be worded as follows:
- In order that Research Spaces be put to the best possible use, it is necessary that the most worthwhile projects be allocated use of the rooms. Please prepare a narrative of your research plan and needs that should address the following points:
- A description of the type of research that is intended to be conducted, including whether this is an ongoing project or a new initiative.
- Do you currently have Research Space in your department? If so, explain why this space cannot be used for your project.
- An indication as to the type of space that will be required for the project. Specifically, do you need a “wet” lab or a “dry” lab?
- Is there a need for any special furnishing or accommodations? This would include items such as specialized electrical service and mountings for unusual pieces of equipment, but would not include instrumentation or other equipment that is used in conducting the research.
- What is the anticipated duration of this research project?
- Research Space will be allocated or reallocated on a yearly basis with a possibility of renewal on a case-by-case basis.
- Proposals will be evaluated on the basis of answers to the following:
- What is the source of funding for this research? Please include a budget if one is available.
- How will students (graduate and/or undergraduate) be involved in the research project?
- What publications or other manner of presentations have resulted from or will result from this project? What publications or presentations do you expect to make before the one-year renewal period is up?
- Will this be a collaborative effort? If yes, with whom will you be collaborating and what will be the extent of the collaboration?
- In what ways will this research benefit the university and/or local community?
- No Research Space will be assigned without application. Please submit a letter detailing the above, along with an updated copy of your curriculum vitae via email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- All appeals or special requests for short-term allocation of Research Space may be made to the Provost.