Major Steps for successful completion of the Certification Process
- Transcript Evaluation: Determine the content courses you need: Send an email to the PSED Secretary, Ms.
Carolyn Cooper Chambliss, firstname.lastname@example.org for a transcript evaluation. State your interest in obtaining teacher certification
as a post baccalaureate student and the content area of interest.
- Apply: Apply to the Graduate M.Ed. Program in Professional and Secondary Education - Professional Education, and write in your goal statement that you are seeking teacher certification in a specific content area.
- Plan: Once you are accepted into the program, please meet with your adviser to design a
plan of study for your certification. You will create a written plan for your customized
path to certification. Download the Graduate Teacher Preparation Guide. Review all pages. Complete with your adviser.
- TEC Approval: Meet with your PSED adviser every semester. Before Teacher Educational Council (TEC) approval you must have met all the requirements.
- Basic Skills Requirements: Since you have a undergraduate degree, your basic skills requirements are already
- Course Requirements: Complete entry courses; have a 3.0 GPA
- Clearances: Obtain clearances
- TK 20: Complete an application, disposition survey and upload materials
- Constant Contact: Stay in contact with your adviser every semester to ensure you are meeting requirements
for PDE certification.
- Content Certification Test: Pass content test as soon as you are able since it is a PDE requirement before certification. Pass before student teaching. If you are in the Graduate Preparation
Program and have passed the test, you are eligible for the Intern Program.
- Student Teaching (PSED 518 & 519): Two semesters before student teaching, register with the Field Experience Office,
Stroud 214. You will student teach full-time for a semester. Student teaching credits
do not count toward your M.Ed. If your eligible for an Internship, you will complete the
Internship rather than traditional student teaching. The Field Experience Office finds
placements when you have fulfilled requirements. Please review the Field Experience requirements and timelines.
- Get Certified: Have a 3.0 QPA (or meet requirements), Student teach, Pass Certification Tests Apply to the Pennsylvania Department of Education for Certification for your content area.
- Finish your M.Ed. (optional): Contact your adviser to make a plan best for you. Many complete the professional education track.