The Office of Financial Aid is happy and ready to assist you!

The FAQs below may prove helpful in guiding your questions.

Do I need to be admitted before I can apply for Financial Aid?
No. You can submit your FAFSA prior to acceptance at To actually receive funds, however, you must be admitted and enrolled at the University.
Do I have to accept the full amount of loan awarded to me?
No, you do not have to accept the amount offered. To accept a partial amount, please log in to your myESU portal > Student tab > Financial Aid Awards and indicate the amount you would like to accept from your offered loans. Please be advised that you must utilize your entire subsidized loan before accepting a partial amount of your unsubsidized loan.
How many credits do I have to take to qualify for A Federal Direct Student Loan?
Students must be enrolled at least half-time (6 credit hours) to maintain eligibility for Direct Loans. Students who drop below half-time during the semester may have their Direct Loan(s) revoked and funds returned to the Department of Education. If you drop below half-time, please consult with a financial aid adviser.
What is financial need?

Financial need is the amount that you can afford to pay for college expenses. This is calculated by the FAFSA and the total cost of attendance.

Cost of Attendance – Expected Family Contribution = Your Financial Need

I was awarded a Student Loan, why hasn’t it posted to my account?
The loan awarded may not have posted because:
How much Federal Loan money can I borrow?
Freshman students are eligible for up to $5,500 in loan money per year, sophomore students are eligible for up to $6,500 per year, junior and senior students are eligible for up to $7,500 per year, and graduate students are eligible for up to $20,500 per year, respectively. Independent students may be eligible to borrow more.
Why Did My Financial Aid Award Change?
Financial aid awards are our best estimate of what you are eligible to receive at the time you are awarded and full-time enrollment. Your award may be increased, reduced, or even canceled, if:
  • Your FAFSA contains incorrect or incomplete data
  • You receive any outside resources, such as privately awarded scholarships, which were not listed on your award letter.
  • You do not maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP)
  • You do not enroll for the required number of hours to receive aid through the programs awarded you.
  • Your student status changes in any way (Residency, career, hours enrolled, class level, or expected graduation date, etc.)
Why was I selected for Verification?
The Department of Education select students for the verification process upon receipt of the FAFSA. Verification selection can be random or because a FAFSA was incomplete, estimated, or inconsistent. East Stroudsburg University may also select students for the verification process if conflicting information is found.
What do I need to do if I failed to meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (Sap) Standards?
Review additional information about what Satisfactory Academic Progress is, its requirements, and the appeal process.
Why is my Account Balance Negative?
When the financial aid office authorizes your aid to your account, you will normally see a negative balance (credit). The negative (credit) balance will change to a refund status and will be disbursed to you within 10 business days.
How can I be considered an independent student?
If you answer "yes" to any of the following questions, you will be considered independent for federal purposes ONLY:
  • Will you be 24 years of age as of January 1?
  • At the beginning of the school year, will you be working in a program of graduate study?
  • As of today, are you married, or do you have children or dependents (other than children or spouse) who receive more than half of their support from you now and through the end of the academic year?
  • Are both of your parents deceased, or are you or were you (until age 18) a ward/dependent of the court?
  • Are you a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces?

A student can also request from our office a dependency override.

What's the difference between subsidized and unsubsidized loans?

A federal direct subsidized loan is based on your financial need, and it's interest-free while you're in college at least half time.

A federal direct unsubsidized loan is not based on need, but the interest starts accumulating when your loan is disbursed.

Contact Us

Please contact us with any questions about Financial Aid. ESU's Title IV Code is 003320.

Contact Information

Campus Address
Zimbar-Liljenstein Hall 110
(570) 422-2800
(570) 422-2850 (Fax)
Title of Department Leader
Director Financial Aid
Leo Hertling
(570) 422-2828