Policy Development and Administration Procedures
Policy Approval Process
- Policy Identification
- Policy author identifies new policies, revisions to existing policies, or policies that need to be converted into the policy repository.
- Policy author engages with specific stakeholders of policy. If policy and procedures affect other department or divisions, discuss revisions with them.
- Recommendations for new or revised policies must be submitted using the following
forms found on the University Policies web page and/or the "S" drive in the University
- Approval Routing form
- Policy Template
- Procedure Template (if applicable)
- The Policy author meets with supervisor, if applicable, to obtain signatures on approval routing form.
- Policy author and/or supervisor meet with vice president to discuss policy and obtain signatures on approval routing form.
- Policy author forwards signed approval routing form, policy template, and if applicable, procedure template to the Policy Administration Office.
- Policy Review/Vetting
- Author attends a Policy Advisory Committee (PAC) meeting to discuss policy. PAC reviews the policy submission for operational efficacy.
- If deemed necessary, policies are referred to governance groups and/or approving/enforcement bodies for review and recommendation.
- Policy Administration submits to President's Council policies and procedures for review in consistency in format, ESU's mission, or conflicts between the proposed policy and other
- ESU policies. President's Council does not need to review current policies that do not have substantial changes prior to Legal Counsel's review.
- Policy Administration submits policies to Legal Counsel for review.
- Legal Counsel's comments are returned to author for review by the Policy Administration Office.
- Author reviews comments and finalizes policy revisions with supervisor and vice president.
- Policy Posting
- Author forwards approved revisions to Policy Administration Office to be entered into the content management system.
- Policy Administration posts new or revised policy announcement on the University web page for ten (10) business days for public review via Postmaster (email).
- Policy Administration announces repealed policies via Post Master (email) and on the University web page.
- Policy Administration will summarize the comments and present to President's Council for discussion and refinement of the proposed policy as warranted.
- Policy Administration will post comments received on the Public Comments web page for ten (10) business days after public posting.
- Policy Adoption
- Policy is submitted to council of trustees for informational purposes based on the President's recommendation.
- The President approves all policies, which can be viewed on the University Policies website.
- Administrative Updates to adopted policies triggered by external or internal events require approval from PAC. Contact Policy Administration if you have questions regarding administrative updates to adopted policies.
- Approved, amended and repealed policies are reviewed with the Council of Trustees for informational purposes.
- Adopted policies must be reviewed every 5 years, or if necessary, on an as needed basis. Procedures must be reviewed every 2 years, or on an as needed basis. Amendments to policies are made as necessary.
- Policy Authors are notified at least 2 months prior to their 5-year renewal date to review their policies.
Administrative Changes to Adopted Policies
If a "minor change" occurs to an adopted Policy due to an external or internal triggering event such as an update in federal regulations or addressing a new risk, the Policy Administration Approval Routing Form must be completed and reviewed by the Policy Advisory Committee.
Other Related Information
Office of the President