Advance Your Career With ESU's Master of Arts (M.A.) Degree in Communication
- 15 Month Program. Just over a year. That's all it takes.
- Online and in the Classroom. Built around you, ESU offers both online and in-person courses.
- No GRE Required. Acceptance is based on your GPA and a writing sample.
- Rolling Enrollment. Apply to begin in fall, winter, spring or summer semesters/sessions.
Why East Stroudsburg University?
ESU's Master of Arts Degree in Communication is designed for working professionals as well as recent bachelor's degree graduates seeking to advance their careers or continue on for a doctorate.
Communication as an academic discipline is the study and practice of communication in all contexts including organizational communication, group communication and interpersonal communication, as well as social media, mass media, and public speaking.
Our M.A. in Communication builds on the history of the discipline—from the study of rhetoric in Greek and Roman Antiquity up through current scholarship—to prepare graduates for leadership positions requiring the mastery of communication skills and concepts.
An M.A. from ESU enables graduates to excel in a wide variety of fields including:
- Students can enroll full-time (three courses per semester) or part-time (one or two courses per semester)
- Rolling Enrollment — apply at any time or Apply Now
- No GRE Required
- Affordable — view tuition rates
- Flexible — customizable course schedules to fit workplace and family needs
- Online and In-Person Courses
- Optional Masters Course from another Department
Required Core Courses for the M.A. Program in Communication:
- Rhetoric and Advocacy (face to face)
- Law for Communication Professionals (online)
- Mass Media and Communication Ethics (face to face)
- Organizational Communication (online)
- Communication Theory (online)
- Advanced Communication Research (face to face)
Elective Courses for the M.A. Program in Communication:
- Comparative Media (online)
- Dialogue and Social Media (online)
- One 3-credit Master's course outside of the Communication Department OR one CMST 577 Independent Study
M.A. Thesis or M.A. Professional Experience
Option 1 (30 Credits):
Option 2 (33 Credits):
- Professional Experience, plus one more Master's course either from the department of Communication or an outside department
Current ESU Undergraduate Students
If you're a current undergraduate student at East Stroudsburg University, you may be able to get a head start on your Master's Degree with our M.A. Accelerated Program!
- Pay undergraduate tuition rates while taking M.A. courses
- Complete your M.A. in 12 months
- No application fee
- Students must be in good academic standing
For more general information, please contact Rob McKenzie, Ph.D., Department Chair and Professor of Communication, firstname.lastname@example.org, (570) 422-3886.