Strong Leadership Improves Schools! Get the Skills You Need to Become an Effective Leader!
Track - M.Ed. in Educational Leadership and Principal Certification
Students interested in this option usually have teacher certification, and are interested in earning a principal certificate, or holding other supervisor/leadership positions in an educational environment.
To be eligible for this program you must:
- Hold a baccalaureate degree from a regionally or nationally accredited college or university
- Satisfy the requirements set forth in section 24 P.S. § 12-1209 relating to good moral character
- Provide verification of three years of professional experience in an educational setting that is directly related to the educational process.
If you already have an M.Ed., and only want a principal certificate, you can apply to the principal certification program which is 30 credits instead of 36. You may also meet with Dr. Azukas to determine whether any of your previous graduate level courses will meet state requirements. You can preview the required courses by clicking on the concentration track list. Note: the state requires very specific competencies so courses MUST align with these competencies to be accepted.
- Educational Leadership Value: This program has been approved by the Educational Leadership Constituent Council Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development, the national organization for administration and leadership, received national recognition and commendation through NCATE and the Pennsylvania Department of Education approval!
- Experienced Leaders: The complement of full time and part-time faculty, with deep school experience and many of whom are still active in schools, provide a solid foundation for your leadership growth.
Career Preparation: Principal & Supervisors
Program Completion Requirements: Course completion with minimum 3.0 QPA; Completed Plan of Study filed with the Graduate Office; Pass Comprehensive Assessment Portfolio review; apply for graduation and degree is conferred. See your adviser for clarification and updated changes for program clarification.
Major Steps in the Process
- M.Ed. Educational Leadership: Apply to the Graduate Program in Professional and Secondary Education, and identify your track as Educational Leadership.
- Principal Certificate only: The candidate has an M.Ed. already and is just seeking principal certification. Apply to the Secondary Education certification, and not the M.Ed.
- M.Ed. Educational Leadership: The candidate seeks an M.Ed. and principal certification. Once you are accepted into the program, complete common core courses and contact a PSED adviser to discuss your career goals to complete Track OR
- Principal Certificate only: The candidate has an M.Ed. already and is just seeking principal certification. Email the PSED graduate coordinator with your previous graduate transcripts. The PSED coordinator will determine if any of your previous M.Ed. courses meet PDE certification requirements.
- Plan of Study
- M.Ed. Educational Leadership: After taking 9-12 credits, meet with your adviser to assist you to complete the Plan of Study form. The plan of study will be signed by you, your adviser, graduate coordinator, department chair, and graduate director. Your signed Plan of Study will be sent by email. Please retain the Plan of Study for your records.
- Principal Certificate only: Meet with your PSED adviser to make sure you are fulfilling PDE requirements to earn certification.
- Internship: PDE requires a year long internship. A PSED supervisor will assist you to meet all your internship requirements and you must fill out and submit an Internship Application. You must be approved for PSED 573, 574, and 575. Email your completed application to Ms. Carolyn Cooper Chambliss.
- Comprehensive Assessment Portfolio: While you are completing your courses, gather artifacts, read and write reflections for your comprehensive assessment portfolio for Educational Leadership. The portfolio is a chance to highlight your unique professional perspectives. You will present your portfolio the last semester of your program. Please review the Comprehensive Assessment Portfolio Assessment Policy and Protocol Manual, and ask if you have questions.
- Finishing Up - Last Semester
- Apply for Graduation the beginning of your last semester.
- Present your Comprehensive Assessment Portfolio: This is a time to display and describe your learning, reflection on your professional experiences and readings. Send an email to PSED Secretary, Ms. Carolyn Cooper Chambliss, to determine presentation times. You will present in the last half of the semester.
- Principal Certification: Each state has its own requirements. PA Test: Pass the School Leaders Licensure Test & Apply to the Pennsylvania Department of Education New Jersey: See New Jersey Education Requirements
Professional Licensure Disclosures and Distance Learning State Authorization: Applicants who are applying to programs that may lead to licensure in states other than Pennsylvania must be aware of the various state professional licensure requirements. Please see ESU's professional licensure disclosures, Evaluation of Conduct Record, and check licensure requirements by occupation and state at CareerOneStop.