Message to ESU Campus from Interim President Kenneth Long on DEI Action Items
July 1, 2021
I hope this message finds you and your family healthy, safe and enjoying a wonderful summer together. I’m writing to you today to provide a second quarter update on the 10 Action Item Plan that I introduced back in February. I continue to be proud of the work being done on our campus by students, faculty, staff and administrators in order to keep the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) and social justice top-of-mind for all of us.
Below are a few highlights from the second quarter report (April – June 2021). I encourage everyone to visit the 10 Action Item Plan webpage to learn more about each action.
- Action Item 1 – Current Employee Training. 100 percent of full-time employees have completed ESU’s DEI online training. Further 129 employees participated in one or more D&I workshops in Fall 2020 and 259 employees participated in Spring 2021 workshops.
- Action Item 2 – New Student Training. New students joining the Warrior Family in Fall 2021 will receive information on how to complete the EVERFI DEI online training this Summer.
- Action Item 3 – Data Transparency. During the period, the University developed reports to show employee demographic data by select employee groups: Faculty, Police, Coaches and Administrators/Staff. This modification permits internal and external stakeholders to track and identify progress in our efforts to further diversify university personnel.
- Action Item 4 – Diverse Hiring. One-third (1 out of 3) of the full-time regular hires made since the last update identified as diverse.
- Action Item 6 – Search Committee Training. All employees serving on a search have participated in anti-bias recruitment training.
- Action Item 8 – University Policies. The Time, Place and Manner policy has been submitted to the Policy Review Committee for final approval. The Notice of Non-Discrimination and Harassment policy has been updated to reflect changes implemented by the Office of the Chancellor for the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education.
- Action Item 9 – Incident Reporting. Six incidents were reported to the Community Restoration Team for the 2020-2021 academic year. Of the six incidents reported, four have been resolved and two are still open/under review.
These updates and the 10 Action Items shared on the website are only a snapshot of the initiatives within our campus community that are aimed at improving our DEI efforts to create a welcoming and socially just environment for all. These items are also intended to support the University’s Excellence Scorecard, which aims to increase diversity of faculty and staff; support systems for students of color; and improve ESU’s retention and graduation rates.
I want to thank the Diversity & Inclusion Committee and the many students, faculty, and staff doing this important work. Together we will continue to move all of these action items and campus initiatives forward to make ESU a place where all Warriors belong. Please look for our next quarterly update on Friday, October 1, 2021.