Dr. Ali-Zaidi was a charter member of the Board of Governors and a strong advocate for our universities. Through an endowment with the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education Foundation, he established the award to inspire and honor State System students who excel in the pursuit of knowledge. Dr. Ali-Zaidi’s dedication to academic achievement is inspired by the memory of his grandfather, Mir Wilayat Husain.
Each of the State System universities submits one nominee to the State System chancellor, who then determines the single State System Ali-Zaidi Scholar. Award recipients receive a $2,500 award check.
Undergraduate graduating senior for whom a degree has been or will be conferred during the 2022/2023 academic year.
Office of the President and include the materials below.
Nomination Packet should consist of the following:
- An essay written by the nominee addressing how ESU prepared him/her for the next career step and what that next step will be. (The essay should not exceed two double-spaced pages using 12-point type.)
- The nominee's most recent official transcript (a copy is acceptable-does not have to be certified)
- The nominee's vita or resume
- Two letters of recommendation, preferably from university faculty
Criteria for the Award - Each nominee will be evaluated based on the following:
- Outstanding academic performance in the academic major and in other areas of study
- Recognition of scholarship by members of the university faculty
- Participation in extra/co-curricular activities during undergraduate years
- Quality of the nominee's essay
- All finalists will be asked to allow the PASSHE Foundation to create a short video featuring the finalist and their achievements.
The letter of nomination and all other supporting materials, including the nominee’s
essay, should be sent to the Office of the President no later than Friday, December 16, 2022.