Use the 1098-T to assist you and your tax preparer in determining your eligibility for an education tax credit on your federal income tax return.
ESU partners with Heartland ECSI to provide your 1098-T by January 31st of each calendar year:
- ECSI offers electronic delivery of your 1098-T. Access ECSI’s website for instructions on how to access your 1098-T.
- Otherwise, a paper copy will be mailed to your permanent address.
In previous years, your 1098-T included a figure in Box 2 that represented the qualified tuition and related expenses (QTRE) we billed to your student account for the calendar (tax) year. Due to a change mandated by the IRS to institutional reporting requirements under federal law, beginning with tax year 2018, we will report in Box 1 the amount of QTRE you paid during the year.
Depending on your income (or your family’s income, if you are a dependent), whether you were considered full or half-time enrolled, and the amount of your qualified educational expenses for the year, you may be eligible for a federal education tax credit. (You can find detailed information about claiming education tax credits in IRS Publication 970, page 9.)
The dollar amounts reported on your Form 1098-T may assist you in completing IRS Form 8863 – the form used for calculating the education tax credits that a taxpayer may claim as part of your tax return.
For all currently enrolled students, details of the individual transactions are available by accessing your e-bills for those semesters in the myESU portal.
1098-T Electronic Consent - Sign up by January 1, 2021 for your 2021 1098-T
The benefits to receiving electronic notification are:
- Online delivery provides access to the form 1098-T earlier than the traditional mailing process.
- Online delivery eliminates the chance that the 1098-T will get lost, misdirected or delayed during delivery, or misplaced once the student receives it.
- Signing up for online delivery is easy and secure.
- Students can receive their 1098-T form while traveling or away from their home address.