The mission of the Bachelor of Science in Social Work (BSSW) Program at East Stroudsburg University of Pennsylvania is interwoven with the rapidly changing, exurban community in which we are situated. In a context marked by significant transition, we respect the dignity and worth of all persons and commit to the values of diversity, the importance of human relationships, social justice and service.
The BSSW Program embraces a global perspective, engages in scientific inquiry to expand knowledge, and commits to practices that seek the advancement of human rights and the elimination of poverty. It is our calling to provide students the educational background necessary as competent generalist social work practitioners to embrace the strengths embedded in our community while assisting in addressing the shifting needs within it; and to ensure that BSSW graduates have the preparation essential to successfully pursue graduate study in social work.
The goals of the Program are to:
- Prepare students for competent generalist social work practice that promotes human and community well-being, and embraces a person and environment construct through the program emphasis on the requisite knowledge, professional values and skills.
- Serve as a resource to the community which is accomplished in several ways including:
- Engaging in scientific inquiry with local and regional community partners that seeks to expand knowledge, improve service delivery, enhance quality of life, and advance human rights.
- Contributing social work interns and program graduates to the community that are prepared to address the needs within it.
- Prepare baccalaureate-level social workers for generalist practice that is committed to utilizing a strengths perspective.
East Stroudsburg University was granted Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) Reaffirmation of Accreditation of the Bachelor of Science in Social Work (BSSW) program for 8 years in June 2019.
All CSWE accredited programs measure and report student learning outcomes (see Form AS4(B) ).
- John Kraybill-Greggo, Ph.D., M.S.W., L.S.W., A.C.S.W., Department Chair & Social Work Program Director
- Hanif Bey, D.S.W., M.S.W., L.S.W.
- Laurene Clossey, Ph.D., M.S.W., L.C.S.W., A.C.S.W.
- Barbara Collins, Ph.D., M.S.W., L.C.S.W., B.C.D. (Emeritus Faculty)
- Michelle DiLauro, Ph.D., M.S.W., L.C.S.W., Social Work Field Education Director
- Hope Horowitz, M.S.W., L.S.W.
- Chin Hu, Ph.D.
- Lloyd Lyter, Ph.D., M.S.W., L.S.W.
- Reto Muller, Ph.D.
- Hooshang Pazaki, Ph.D.
More detailed career information is available from the department.
Professional Licensure Disclosures and Distance Learning State Authorization: Applicants who are applying to programs that may lead to licensure in states other than Pennsylvania must be aware of the various state professional licensure requirements. Please see ESU's professional licensure disclosures, Evaluation of Conduct Record, and check licensure requirements by occupation and state at CareerOneStop.