Physical education teacher education prepares candidates to be active professionals who can teach P-12 Physical Education in the schools.
Expectations of graduates include the ability to:
- Articulate and apply concepts from motor learning, motor development, kinesiology, exercise physiology, and the psycho-social aspects of activity.
- Plan and implement developmentally appropriate activities employing a variety of instructional strategies.
- Assess student performance in the psychomotor, fitness, cognitive and affective domains.
- Use technology and interpersonal communication skills to enhance learning in physical activity settings.
- Create inclusive, challenging learning environments that are sensitive to learner diversity and levels of development in the psychomotor, fitness, affective, and cognitive domains.
- Collaborate with professional colleagues, administrators, parents and community members.
- Reflect on instruction to enhance or maintain quality physical education.