Other Graduate Programs
- All M.Ed. Tracks
- Secondary Teacher Certification
- Online Endorsement
- Leadership & Administration Ed.D
Strong Leadership Unlocks Potential
Track - M.Ed. in Educational Leadership and Principal Certification
Students interested in this option usually have teacher certification, and are interested in earning a principal certificate, or holding other supervisor/leadership positions in an educational environment. If you already have an M.Ed., and only want a principal certificate, meet with Dr. Lare as soon as possible to determine your plan of study.
√ Educational Leadership Value: This program has been approved by the Educational Leadership Constituent Council Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development, the national organization for administration and leadership, received national recognition and commendation through NCATE and the Pennsylvania Department of Education approval!
√ Experienced Leaders: The complement of full time and part-time faculty, who are still active in schools, provide a solid foundation for your leadership growth.
Career Preparation: Principal & Supervisors
Program Completion Requirements: Course completion with minimum 3.0 QPA; Completed Plan of Study filed with the Graduate Office; Pass Comprehensive Assessment Portfolio review; apply for graduation and degree is conferred. See your advisor for clarification and updated changes for program clarification.
Major Steps in the Process
- M.Ed. Educational Leadership: Apply to the Graduate Program in Professional and Secondary Education, and identify your track as Educational Leadership.
- Principal Certificate only: The candidate has an M.Ed. already and is just seeking principal certification. Apply to the Secondary Education certification, and not the M.Ed.
- M.Ed. Educational Leadership: The candidate seeks an M.Ed. and principal certification. Once you are accepted into the program, complete common core courses and contact a PSED advisor to discuss your career goals to complete Track OR
- Principal Certificate only: The candidate has an M.Ed. already and is just seeking principal certification. Contact the PSED Carolyn Cooper Chambliss email@example.com, who will help you contact a PSED advisor. You and the PSED advisor will determine determine if any of your previous M.Ed. courses meet PDE certification requirements. Have your transcripts and resumes ready for the discussion.
- M.Ed. Educational Leadership: After taking 9-12 credits, meet with your advisor to assist you to complete the Plan of Study form. The plan of study will be signed by you, the graduate coordinator, department chair, and graduate director. Your signed Plan of Study will be sent by email. Please retain the Plan of Study for your records.
- Principal Certificate only: Meet with your PSED advisor to make sure you are fulfilling PDE requirements to earn certification.
Finishing Up - Last Semester:
- Apply for Graduation the beginning of your last semester.
- Present your Comprehensive Assessment Portfolio: This is a time to display and describe your learning, reflection on your professional experiences and readings. Send an email to PSED Secretary, Ms. Carolyn Cooper Chambliss, firstname.lastname@example.org to determine presentation times. You will present in the last half of the semester.
- Principal Certification: Each state has its own requirements. PA Test: Pass the School Leaders Licensure Test & Apply to the Pennsylvania Department of Education New Jersey: See New Jersey Education Requirements