Other Graduate Programs
- All M.Ed. Tracks
- Secondary Teacher Certification
- Online Endorsement
- Leadership & Administration Ed.D
Become a Highly Qualified Adapted Physical Educator
Track - M.Ed. in Adapted Physical Education: This track allows you to grow in your professional knowledge of Adapted Physical Education (APE) for exemplary teaching, research and service. Adapted Physical Education is physical education which has been adapted or modified, so that it is as appropriate for the person with a disability as it is for a person without a disability.
Courses are offered through the collaboration of the Department of Physical Education and Professional and Secondary Education. Through the courses you will learn the art and science to develop, plan, implement, and evaluate the specially designed physical education programs to teach students with disabilities. Many of the courses are nationally accredited through the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation. With completion of this program, you will be able to take an exam of the Adapted Physical Education National Standards (APENS) to become a nationally Certified Adapted Physical Educator (CAPE).
To successfully complete the program, you will demonstrate that you are a reflective practitioner by completing the courses with a 3.0 or 3.25 cumulative QPA. You want to meet with a PSED faculty person and the PETE faculty to discuss your professional goals.
Major Steps in the Process
- APPLY: Apply to the Graduate Program in Professional and Secondary Education, and identify your track as Adapted Physical Education.
- START: Once you are accepted into the program, complete a couple core courses or contact a PSED advisor to discuss your career goals.
- Plan of Study: After taking 6-9 credits, meet with your advisor to determine the courses that align to your career goals. The plan of study will be signed by you, the graduate coordinator, department chair, and graduate director. Your signed Plan of Study will be sent by email. Please retain the Plan of Study for your records.
- Complete Courses on your Plan of Study or work with your advisor to make modifications.
- Finishing Up - Last Semester: Apply for Graduation - this is in the beginning of your last semester.
For further information about the program, please contact:
Dr. Mihye Jeong, firstname.lastname@example.org