CMS Login

Making Referrals

Image Caption

How to refer students to CAPS

As faculty and staff, you are often the first to notice concerning behavior from our students. If you have any concerns or questions call CAPS or contact the Office of Student Affairs.

You can do refer a student in a number of ways:

  1. Having the student call CAPS to make an appointment.
  2. Walk the student over to the CAPS office.
  3. Contact CAPS yourself with questions or concerns or to receive guidance as to best assist the student.

What faculty/staff can watch out for when concerned about a student

  • Any significant change in a student's behavior, appearance or demeanor
  • Students exhibiting emotional distress: signs of anxiety, depression, unmanageable anger
  • Isolated students
  • A stress level that raises concern
  • Suspected alcohol and/or drug abuse
  • Fatigue and social withdrawal
  • Threatening and/or aggressive behavior to self and/or others
  • Signs of inability to care for self
  • Indications of self-destructive thoughts (verbalized, written)

Who gets services at CAPS

Any student registered at ESU qualifies for services. Here are just a few of the concerns that bring students to seek counseling:

  • Adjustment to college life
  • Low self-esteem
  • Assertiveness and decision making
  • Sexual orientation or coming out
  • Suicidal thoughts
  • Lack of motivation
  • Depression or mood swings
  • Anxiety or panic attacks
  • Disordered eating
  • Difficulty with attention/concentration
  • Illness or death of a family member or close friend
  • Relationships and communication issues (friends, partners, roommates)
  • Uncertainty about leaving school
  • Parent and family conflicts

What services are offered at CAPS

  • Individual therapy, couples therapy, group therapy.
  • Emergency services
  • Referrals
  • Consultation and outreach
  • Academic and career assistance