VIRTUAL Majors and Minors Fair
Get the most from the event.
The Virtual Major and Minors Fair is helpful for students at any point in their academic career at ESU! The virtual fair allows students to reach out via messaging or ZOOM to representatives from ESU academic departments/programs. Each virtual department contains insightful information about majors, minors, and certificate programs at ESU including: the requirements of the major, career paths within the major, and information links from professional associations. The virtual fair allows students to gain understanding of the course requirements, interests, skills and values associated with each major or program. Students can also participate in online personality/major assessments and visit our virtual career development center!
The event is designed to help students who have not yet declared their major/minor as well as those who have declared, but still may be uncertain about their choice of major, minor, career path, or how to enhance their academic experience through special programs and opportunities.
- Pre-Fair Thoughts
Deciding on a major is a big step for every college student. It is important to know yourself as you explore the possibilities that are available. Be sure to consider your interests, abilities, experiences, and values and how they relate to college majors and potential careers.
- Create a list of interests and career opportunities.
- Learn more about yourself and your possible academic and career interests by taking personality and skill assessments.
- Look through the list of all ESU majors, minors, concentrations and certification programs.
- Ask your FYE mentor about majors offered at ESU.
- At the Fair
- Peruse all the majors and minors available during the virtual fair, visit any and all that catch your curiosity.
- Zoom or message department representatives with questions!
- What questions to ask:
- What can I do with a major in ________?
- What jobs have recent graduates landed? What organizations hired them?
- What courses are required for the major? Pre-requisites?
- What is the minimum GPA required for the major?
- What career paths I can pursue with this major?
- Will I need to pursue graduate work?
- What specific academic skills are needed to succeed in this major?
- Internship opportunities?
- Other Suggested Questions to Ask
Are there any specializations or areas of emphasis within your degrees?
- Can I add a minor easily?
- Are there any requirements to declare this major?
- Does this major participate in undergraduate research, study abroad, or service learning?
- What kinds of internships are available?
- Clubs or honor societies?
- Follow-up after the Fair
- Continue to learn more about the majors by making an appointment to talk to the department chair.
- Discuss possibilities with and Exploratory Studies academic advisor.
- Speak to your FYE professor about assignments associated with the M & M event.
- Be sure to complete evaluation for class credit!
For assistance or special accommodations, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (570) 422-3741. Accommodations may include, but are not limited to, services for physical, cognitive, visual or auditory assistance.