Explore. Discover. Declare.
Exploratory Studies is a comprehensive academic program designed to meet the needs of students who wish to explore ESU major, minor, and certificate options before major declaration.
Research supports that students who enter college undeclared to discover and explore their interests, skills, and values before major declaration are more likely to succeed academically and graduate in 4 years.
Exploratory Studies prepares undergraduate students to navigate all aspects of their major exploration through a comprehensive advising curriculum that consists of four key components:
- academic planning
- career idea planning
- decision making
We guide students strategically through 45 credits of the general education curriculum. Students prepare to declare a major within their first three semesters (45 credits). We prepare students for major declaration by:
- Establishing a relationship based on mutual trust centering around the student;
- Encouraging students to learn academic strengths and challenges;
- Guiding students in the exploration of potential academic major and career ideas;
- Developing an individualized academic plan;
- Introducing self-assessments to identify skills, values, and interests;
- Familiarizing students with ESU major and minors;
- Building efficacy so students confidently declare a major they are excited about through graduation.
Exploratory Studies Honor Societies
An honor society is an association of primarily collegiate members and chapters whose purposes are to encourage and recognize superior scholarship and leadership and research achievement either in broad fields of education or in specialized (departmental) areas at either undergraduate or graduate levels.
Exploratory Studies boasts two Honor Societies:
Phi Eta Sigma: Phi Eta Sigma's mission is to encourage and reward academic excellence among first-year college students.
Tau Sigma: Tau Sigma is an academic honor society designed specifically to recognize and promote transfer students' academic excellence and involvement.