Exploratory Studies is the only academic program on campus that boasts an Academic Success Coach. Our academic success coach helps Exploratory students maximize their academic ability by using coaching techniques that encourage personal realization and accountability.
- Through active participation in Exploratorys' ACHIEVE Academic Coaching Program, students learn to:
- Identify goals and action steps to academic goal attainment.
- Identify skills, interests, and values that match ESU majors and minors.
- Recognize challenges that impair academic achievement.
- Understand and identify personal strengths.
- Create a personalized academic success plan towards four-year graduation!
Academic coaches work in partnership with students to help them obtain academic goals and reach optimal academic performance. Many factors play a part in the advising & coaching conversation, including students' goals, challenges, interests, and strengths to develop a thoughtful and intentional academic plan.
What is Academic Coaching?
Academic coaching is a personalized, one-on-one meeting with a trained academic coach who can guide students to improved academic performance skills. Working with an academic coach can teach students to study smarter by creating awareness of obstacles that impede success and identify faulty thinking patterns that often sabotage student academic success.
Academic coaching cultivates a partnership with the students to support their individualized learning and growth process. Academic coaching contributes to a transformational student experience by:
- Supporting students as they develop critical thinking skills
- Challenging students to deepen their self-awareness.
- Encouraging confidence in academic ability
- Facilitating an interactive an actionable goal setting process
- Trusting and empowering students to take ownership of their college and life journey.
What is an Academic Success Coach?
An academic success coach works individually with students to perform to the best of their abilities. Our academic success coach will guide students through action learning and life management strategies, which will enhance the success and the major exploration process at ESU!
Coaches Help Students of All Success Levels:
- Become self-regulated learners;
- Understand and use effective and individualized learning strategies;
- Identify and overcome obstacles that may be impeding academic success;
- Focus on goals and identify steps to reaching those goals;
- Identify patterns of success and eliminate faulty thinking patterns that inhibit success;
- Engage in the major exploration process of self-discovery, academic planning, career planning, and decision making.
Academic Advising Vs. Academic Coaching
Academic coaching complements academic advising. Our Exploratory academic coach collaborates with our Director of Exploratory Studies to provide targeted support to students.
- Academic Coaches help students develop critical thinking and academic skills while facilitating a goal-setting process to support student's personal and academic development.
- Academic advisors help students navigate their education curriculum, create academic schedules that maximize their educational programs, and support students from a holistic perspective.
You will meet your advisor every semester before registration, but you should reach out whenever you have questions. You will work with your Exploratory Studies advisor until you declare your major. At that time, you will be assigned an advisor in your major, though you can maintain your connection with your Exploratory Studies advisor as well.