East Stroudsburg University strives to create inclusive environments through culturally
relevant teaching and training.
The Diversity and Inclusion Committee sponsors a series of workshops throughout each
semester that illustrates these concepts; however, what follows is a list of resources
that can be of assistance!
- Adams, M., Bell, L. A., Goodman, D. J., and Joshi, K. Y. (Eds.) (2016). Teaching for diversity and social justice (3rd ed.). New York, NY: Routledge.
- Adams, M., Blumenfeld, W. J., Catalano, D. C. J., DeJong, K., Hackman, H. W., Hopkins,
L. E., Love, B. J., Peters, M. L., Shlasko, D., and Zuniga, X. (Eds.) (2018). Readings for diversity and social justice (4th ed). New York, NY: Routledge.
- Adams, M., Rodriguez, S., & Zimmer, K. (Eds.) (2017). Culturally relevant teaching: Preparing teachings to include all learners. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield.
- Chartock, R. K. (2009). Strategies and lessons for culturally responsive teaching: A primer for K-12 teachers. New York, NY: Pearson.
- Davis, B. M. (2005). How to teach students who don't look like you: Culturally relevant teaching strategies. Newbury Park, CA: Corwin.
- Emden, C. (2017). For White folks who teach in the hood...and the rest of y'all: Reality pedagogy and
urban education. Boston, MA: Beacon Press.
- Gay, G. (2018). Culturally responsive teaching: Theory, research, and practice (3rd ed.). New York, NY: Teachers College Press
- Hammond, Z. L. (2014). Culturally responsive teaching and the brain: Promoting authentic engagement and rigor
among culturally and linguistically diverse students. Newbury Park, CA: Corwin
- Hollie, S. (2017). Culturally and linguistically responsive teaching and learning: Classroom practices
for student success. (2nd ed.). Huntington Beach, CA: Shell Education Publishing
- Inzlicht, M. & Schmader, T. (Eds.) (2012). Stereotype threat: Theory, process, and application. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
- Jha, S. (2018). Read this, save lives: A teacher's guide to creating safe classrooms for LGBTQ+ students. The Empathy Alliance.
- Ladson-Billings, G. (2009). The dreamkeepers: Successful teachers of African-American students (2nd ed). San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Leonard, J. (2018). Culturally specific pedagogy in the mathematics classroom: Strategies for teachers
and students (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Routledge
- Mack, K. M., Winter, K., and Soto, M. (Eds.) (2019). Culturally responsive strategies for reforming STEM education: Turning the TIDES on
Inequity. Bingley, UK: Emerald Education Publishing
- Rodriguez, E. R., Ballanca, J. A., and Esparza, D. R. (2016). What is it about me you can't teach? Culturally responsive instruction in deeper learning
classrooms. Newbury Park, CA: Corwin.
- Samuels, D. (2014). The culturally inclusive educator: Preparing for a multicultural world. New York, NY: Teachers College Press.