Preferred Name Policy
East Stroudsburg University permits students to use a preferred name in the course of University business and education. This would mean that a Preferred Name would appear on class rosters, residence hall rosters, diploma and other documents. However, there are instances when the legal name must be used including employment (W-2) paperwork and financial aid, for example. For full details please review the Preferred Name Policy.
*Please note, once the preferred name is reflected in your MyESU Portal, you will still need to visit the Campus Card Center (lower level, University Center) to have a new eCard printed with your preferred name. You will also need to email firstname.lastname@example.org to request your email address be changed to reflect your preferred name.
Gender Inclusive Housing
Residence Life and Housing permits students to choose their roommates, regardless of biological sex, in Hemlock and Hawthorn Suites. It is also offered in the University Apartments, and University Ridge for sophomore level students, and above. The apartment, for example, could be selected as three females, three males, two females and a male, or two males and a female. Double rooms (shared bedrooms) will remain single gender.
Please contact the LGBTQA Program Center or the Residence Life and Housing Office for more information (570) 422-3460.
Gender Inclusive Restrooms
Restrooms available to students of all genders are currently in the following areas:
- Mattioli Recreation Center, 2nd Floor
- Flagler Metztgar Building, 2nd Floor
- McGarry Communication Center
- Facilities Management Complex
- Shawnee Residence Hall, Across from the LGBTQA Center
- Hemlock Suites, Residence Life Office
- Laurel Residence Hall, Lobby
- Linden Residence Hall, Lobby
- Starbucks on Campus, around the corner from the M/F bathrooms
- University Apartments, Laundry Room (Building A)
- University Ridge, Community Center
Additional facilities are being identified, and converted to accommodate our students needs. Please check back, or stop by the LGBTQA Program Center in Shawnee Hall, for an updated list.