CMS Login

How to Finance your ESU Education

Need money for college?

Financing your ESyou Education

The first step to financing your ESU education is to apply for federal student aid at FAFSA and Pennsylvania State aid PHEAA (PA residents only).

Once you apply for financial aid and the school receives your FAFSA and State information an award letter will be generated and sent to your permanent address (for first year students), or via ESU email for continuing students.

For students who have accepted their offer of admission, you can review your award letter online via your myESU portal.

myESU Portal > Log in > Click on the Students tab > Click on the Financial Aid Awards tab > Select Aid Year box, click on 2018-2019 Aid Year

Costs Directly Billed by ESU using costs from the 2018-2019 Aid Year

Pennsylvania Undergraduate Resident - Full Time (12-18 credits)

 Academic YearSemester
Tuition $7,716.00 $3,858.00
Fees $2,854.00 $1,427.00
Total $10,570.00 $5,285.00

Non-Pennsylvania Undergraduate Resident - Full Time (12-18 credits)

 Academic YearSemester
Tuition $19,290.00 $9,645.00
Fees $3,108.00 $1,554.00
Total $22,398.00 $11,199.00

If you will be living on campus, please factor in the following

 Academic YearSemester
Average Cost Campus Housing* $8,076.00 $4,038.00
Average Cost Campus Meal Plan* $2,898.00 $1,449.00

*actual cost will vary depending on the residence hall and meal plan selected

Other Estimated Costs not Directly Billed by ESU

ItemEstimated Costs
Books and Supplies $1,324.00
Transportation varies
Miscellaneous Expenses (ex: personal care, clothing) $1,378.00

Calculate charges for the year:

Estimated cost:

Tuition+ Fees + Room (if applicable) + Meal Plan (if applicable) = ____________ Total Cost

Financial Aid award(s) (including Direct Federal Loans) = __________ Total Aid

Total Cost minus Total Aid = ________________ Amount still needed to cover cost

Financial options for your ESU education:

We recommend borrowing federal loans first. However, there are many lenders that offer credit-based private loans to supplement federal loans. Generally undergraduate students need a credit-worthy cosigner for approval. Borrowers are assigned an interest rate based on strength of credit of the borrower/cosigner so rates vary significantly. Most private loans do not charge origination fees.

Federal Direct Loans have fixed interest rates and flexible repayment options that are not typically offered by private lenders.

Parent PLUS Loans – Parents of dependent undergraduate students may apply for this loan. The parent logs in with their own FSA ID and password. Under Parent Borrowers click on Apply for a PLUS loan. If the parent is approved, they can proceed and fill out a Master Promissory Note. If the PLUS loan is denied, the student may be eligible for an additional amount of unsub Stafford Loan. (Up to $4,000 for the year).

Students must be making Financial Aid Progress (minimum cumulative GPA 2.0 and 66.66% completion rate) for all federal aid.

Alternative Loans – A loan a student takes in their name that they pay back, but they may need a credit-worthy co-signer. Visit Elm to review lenders and apply.

Payment PlansPayment Plans are available through our Student Accounts Office