Standards for admission are as follows:
Full Graduate Standing
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
- Two completed Recommendation Forms from persons who have taught or supervised you. All recommendations must be sealed and bear the signature of the author.
- An overall undergraduate minimum grade point average of 3.0 (4.0 basis).
- A one–page statement of professional goals.
Admission, with Conditions
Granted to an applicant who plans to work toward a graduate degree or certification program but does not meet the academic criteria for Admission (e.g., overall/major quality point average, graduate test scores, etc.) or who does not have all of the other requirements (e.g., prerequisite coursework, licenses, etc.) necessary for admission, pre-candidacy (full). Upon departmental recommendation of the stated conditions, the student may request a change of admission classification from Admission, with Conditions to Admission, Pre-Candidacy. The Graduate Dean will seek the recommendation of the graduate coordinator, and then make the decision for approval or disapproval.
Initial Teacher Certification Admission
Students entering a program for initial teacher certification are required to fulfill additional requirements for entry and matriculation in the teacher education program.
- After accepting the offer of admission, students must be formally admitted to the
teacher education program after completing 9-12 graduate credits. Admission to the
teacher education program requires completion of:
- a faculty interview with portfolio demonstration
- a minimum overall ESU QPA of 3.0, as identified by PA law
- an Act 34 criminal background check, FBI fingerprint clearance, and Act 151 child abuse clearance
- any other specific departmental requirements or prerequisites
- being recommended by departmental faculty and approved by the Teacher Education Council.
Students must be accepted to the Graduate School, which includes the review of all undergraduate course work.