Requirements for Admission into the Honors Program
There are three manners in which an incoming ESU student or a current ESU student can be invited to join the Honors Program:
- All incoming freshmen who possess any two of the following qualifications, or who possess all three of the following qualifications, will automatically be sent an invitation to join the Honors Program:
- a high school cumulative grade point average (GPA) of, at minimum, 3.30 on a 4.00 scale, or its equivalent
- a high school class rank in, at minimum, the top 15% of one’s graduating senior class
- An ACT Composite score of 25 or above, or a combined SAT Score of 1220 or above on the Evidence-Based Reading and Writing section plus the Math section
- Any currently enrolled ESU student who displays extraordinary academic talent and who possesses a cumulative GPA of at least 3.3 at the University and who has not yet begun his/her third semester of college may be nominated for the Honors Program by any current member of the ESU faculty. Upon such nomination, the student will be sent an invitation.
- Any currently enrolled ESU student who possesses a GPA of at least 3.3 at the university and who has not yet begun his/her third semester of college may apply for admission to the Honors Program; upon such an application, the student will be sent an invitation.
Note 1: Under no conditions can an ESU student join the Honors Program if he/she has already begun his/her third semester of college. A student transferring to ESU and who has been involved in an honors program or honors college at his/her previous college(s) may petition the Co-Directors for entry into the program.
Note 2: A student who achieves only one of the criteria for admission into the Honors Program may petition the Co-Directors for entry into the program, and this request will be evaluated in a timely manner by the Co-Directors; such a request must be received electronically by both Co-Directors (firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com) at least 90 days before the start of the petitioner’s third semester of college.
Note 3: The Honors Program is an undergraduate program. ESU graduate students cannot be members of the program.
Note 4: The GPA requirements are inflexible. No exceptions can be made.