- Procedure Title: Report of Accident
- Policy Number: ESU-FA-2011-024
- Effective Date:
- Review Date:
- Division: Finance & Administration
- Responsible Office: Facilities Management
This procedure will assist in reporting an accident.
- If a Commonwealth/University vehicle is involved in an accident, regardless of the severity of the accident, the accident reporting procedures located in the vehicle’s glove compartment must be followed and the appropriate information collected.
- The operator should contact University Police (570-422-2000) anytime damage to the vehicle is such that it cannot be driven under its own power, in its customary manner, without further damage or hazard to the vehicle, its passengers, other traffic elements, or the roadway, and, therefore, requires towing. University Police will then contact Facilities Management to determine how to proceed. (The Police are to contact the Automotive Officer by phone, followed by the Director of Facilities Management in case the former is not available, for guidance)
- All operators, or in the cases of an operator’s incapacity, the immediate supervisor, is to prepare an “Automotive Accident or Loss Notice (STD-541)” within 24 hours of any accident, theft, or loss involving a University/ Commonwealth vehicle. This form must be completed and forwarded to the University Police Office for any accident, theft or loss. Blank copies of this form are located in the vehicle packet. The forms may also be obtained from the University Police Office. The Police Department will then forward these forms to the Customer Service Manager in Facilities Management for processing.
- Automotive Liability Self-Insurance Program provides comprehensive automobile liability coverage for commonwealth owned vehicles. (This Policy may be found on the University’s Website located here).
Other Related Information: