- Procedure Title: Request an Accommodation Under the Americans with Disabilities Act
- Policy Number: ESU-PO-2011-003
- Effective Date:
- Review Date: September 15, 2011
- Division: President's Office
- Responsible Office: Diversity & Equal Opportunity
These procedures apply to employees, students, or applicants for employment requesting accommodations under the ADA.
- Employees requesting an accommodation under the ADA should follow the following procedures:
- Employees must file a Request for ADA Accommodation Form with the Director of Human Resources, or his or her designee. During the initial meeting with the Human Resources Office, the Human Resources Office will determine what documentation is needed from a licensed professional to support the employee's request for accommodation. The Human Resources Office will also clarify the responsibilities of the Human Resources Office and the employee.
- Following a review of the documentation and facts of each request, the Human Resources Office will determine whether the employee is eligible for accommodations under the ADA, taking into consideration the marginal and essential functions of the job, the functional limitations of the disability, and the reasonableness of an accommodation.
- The Human Resources Office will facilitate a discussion with the employee’s supervisor and the employee to determine what accommodations may be reasonable.
- The Human Resources Office may seek advice from third-party experts when necessary.
- The Human Resources Office will communicate the process for providing the accommodation verbally and in writing to the employee and the supervisor.
- The employee is responsible for contacting the Human Resources Office if reasonable accommodations are not implemented in an effective and timely manner or if the accommodations are not working. The Human Resources Office will work with the employee and the employee’s supervisor to resolve disagreements regarding recommended accommodations Employees or applicants for employment who are seeking position with ESU who require an accommodation (such as a test or an interview) for a university position should contact Human Resources Management to request an accommodation.
- The request for accommodation must come in a timely manner to allow the Human Resources Office to respond to the request.
- The request for accommodation will be evaluated and the employee or applicant will provide the requested documentation or additional information in order to assist with evaluating the request.
- Students or applicants for admission who are seeking reasonable accommodations or academic adjustments should contact the Office of Accessible Services Individualized for Students.
Other Related Information:
|Director of Diversity/Ombudsperson
Room 115, Reibman
|Counseling & Psychological Services
Flagler Metzgar Center, 2nd Floor
|Vice President for Student Affairs
Room 121, Reibman
|Dean, College of Arts and Science
Room 107, Rosenkrans West
|Director of Human Resources Management
Room 105, Reibman
|Vice Provost and Dean, Graduate College
Room 154, Zimbar/Liljenstein
|Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
Room 220, Reibman
|University Health Services
Flagler-Metzgar, 1st Floor
|Dean, College of Business and Management
Room 123A, Rosenkrans East
|Dean, College of Education
Room 123E, Rosenkrans East
|Women's Center Office
Formerly Office of Disability Services
Hoeffner Science & Technology Center, RM 341
|Dean, College of Health Sciences
Room 105, Rosenkrans West