CMS Login

Veterans Affairs

Image Caption

Course Scheduling Preference for Veteran Students:

"Act 46 of 2014 requires public institutions of higher education in Pennsylvania to provide veteran students, as defined in the Act, with preference in course scheduling. Non-compliance may be reported to the Pennsylvania Department of Education by submitting the Higher Education Complaint form found at:"

In accordance with the Pennsylvania “Higher Education Course Scheduling Preference for Veteran Student Act,” the definition of “veteran student” to include the following groups of students:

Any student who has served in the U.S. Armed Forces, including a reserve component and National Guard, and was discharged or released from such service under conditions other than dishonorable.”

Veterans receiving “course scheduling preference” will be assigned the first registration date and time within their respective class level: graduate, post-baccalaureate or undergraduate.

Students, who have identified themselves as being veterans, as defined above, will automatically receive a priority registration PIN. Students who believe they are veterans as defined above and who have not yet identified themselves as such should submit a DD214, to the Assistant Director of Veterans Services and Records, located in Zimbar Hall, Room 160.


Veterans, Military Members, Spouses, and children seeking or pursuing a higher education are eligible for numerous scholarship and grant opportunities. To see a detailed list of possible scholarships and grants click here.

Veterans, Military Members, Spouses, and children who are continuing their education with post graduate school are eligible for certain scholarships and grants. The members of GoGrad Online have compiled a guide of scholarships for veterans. To view the guide and other scholarships, click here.

About the Veterans Center:

  • The ESU Student Veterans Center will be open daily Monday through Friday from 0800 until 1700.
  • All Veterans are encouraged to use the Veterans Center and the resources available there. We have computers for use, space to do work, as well as some comfortable seats to watch the TV.

The Veteran Certifying Official is located at the ESU student Veterans Center in Zimbar Hall Room 160. The Certifying Official has the delegated authority to sign enrollment certifications, and other certification documents and reports relating to veterans and their dependents who are eligible for VA education benefits.

News of ESU Veterans Affairs Office: WFMZ 69 News., WNEP 16 News, WBRE News

2015 Veterans Day Event with Colonel Douglas Douds. Colonel Douds was interviewed by WBRE. Colonel Douds interview.

2015 Veterans Day Parade: ESU was on Good Morning America to advertise for the Monroe County Veterans Day Parade.

Veteran's Benefits

The Department of Veterans Affairs offer three programs for Veterans and service persons seeking assistance for education:

  • The GI Bill ®
  • Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (DEAP)
  • Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)

For detailed information on the GI Bill click here.

For more additional information there is also the AC Online's Guide to College Affordability for Veterans.

  • Expert-driven content from a military veteran with several contributors from veterans affairs departments
  • Comparison between the Montgomery GI Bill and Post 9/11 Bill
    - Resource listings for Veterans scholarships and grants
  • Actionable information related to the GI Bill and Yellow Ribbon programs
  • Veterans should contact their local office of Veterans Affairs for further information. Other important scholarships information for veterans can be found by our sister organization know as Student Veterans of America.
Tax Season is here and members of have created an elaborate Tax Guide for Military Members and Veterans. The guideline includes:
  • Breakdown of Federal, State, and Non-taxable Exclusions
  • State Tax and Housing Benefits
  • Exclusive Exclusions only offered to Veterans
To view the completed guide and more information click here: Tax Guide for Military Members and Veterans 

Seeking Employment

  • If you would like to research, find, access, and, in time, manage your VA benefits and personal information please visit and/or register at
  • If you looking for a job or an employer committed to hiring Veterans, please register on the Veterans Employment Center (VEC) at:
  • If you are seeking employment in the federal government, particularly the VA, our VA for Vets high-tech tools and resources can help. Visit online at or call 1-(855) 824-8387.
  • If you are looking for a tools on how to search for a job, Learn How to Become has a guide. Visit online at Learn How to Become

Getting Started

  1. Apply for Benefits: Go to Department of Veterans Affairs or VA Benefits apply Chapter 30, 33, 1606 & 1607 - VA form 22-1990 Chapter 33 Dependent - VA Form 22-1990E Chapter 35 - VA Form 22-5490 Electronically attach DD-214 or NOBE to application when applying online Electronically attach any additional entitlement you may be eligible for (IE: Kicker, NOBE, College Fund)
  2. Print out the application along with a copy of your DD-214 or NOBE and bring to your VA briefing appointment. Contact June Pepe to set up an appointment to obtain information about chapter eligibility. Number is available in the contact section of this page.

National Guard and Reserve Benefits: Members of the National Guard and Reserve may be eligible for the Montgomery GI Bill (Active Duty) or (Selected Reserve). This is an education program that provides up to 36 months of benefits. Currently eligible members receive $345 per month for educational expenses. In addition, both the National Guard and Army reserve offer a student loan repayment program.

Eligibility is determined by the VA Office; not East Stroudsburg University. If you are eligible to receive VA benefits, please contact our office to fill out the necessary paperwork.

Benefits Info in Details

GI Bill ® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at