The College of Education at East Stroudsburg University is pleased to announce the availability of the online Master of Education Degree in Reading (M.Ed.).Virtual Information Session
Give yourself the competitive edge to become a leader in reading education in your school or district by earning an online Master of Education in Reading. The Master of Education in Reading program will give you the skills to teach literacy for the 21st century learners and to empower students to rise to the challenges of the Common Core Standards with confidence. The nationally known faculty in the Reading Department are ready to help you accomplish your professional goals, such as strengthening you instructional knowledge of reading, developing leadership skills in reading education in a K-12 setting, or learning new research-based strategies that will help you teach readers of any age.
About the Program
The 36-credit online M.Ed. in Reading can be completed in one year and is designed to focus on literacy acquisition and development, assessment, and instruction of students with diverse learning and literacy needs. You will be prepared to use a wide variety of assessment tools and practices to plan and evaluate effective reading instruction and to offer key strategies to create a literate environment that fosters reading and writing.
The program is completely online including synchronous and asynchronous interactions, so you have live interactions with faculty and can work at your convenience during times that fit your personal or professional work schedule. You will also collaborate with classmates who are professional educators in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and across the United States.
The coursework meets standards for specialization in reading by the International Reading Association. Graduates of the Reading Specialist program are eligible to apply for Pennsylvania Reading Specialist certification. Out-of-state graduates will need to check with their state's Department of Education to see if this program will meet the needs to fulfill the requirements for similar certificates/endorsements.
The Reading Department offers courses in reading education that are required by the departments of Early Childhood and Elementary Education, Professional and Secondary Education, and Special Education.
All students are required to maintain a cumulative and major average as specified in PA law to take teacher education classes.
Candidates for the Reading Specialist Certification/Master of Education in Reading will:
- Base their teaching on the major theories of reading and their relationship to various models of literacy instruction.
- Develop a personal philosophy of literacy development and instruction.
- Teach reading to K-12 students.
- Work cooperatively and collaboratively with other professionals in planning programs to meet the needs of diverse populations of learners.
- Put literacy theory into practice in a variety of educational contexts.
- Integrate reading, writing, speaking, listening, and viewing across the curriculum.
- Differentiate instruction based on students’ needs.
- Use multiple, appropriate procedures to assess and evaluate students’ effort, progress, and achievement in literacy.
- Investigate and implement research on current practices in literacy instruction.
- Use technology and emerging literacies as natural components of teaching and learning.
- Provide leadership in student advocacy.
- Communicate and work collaboratively with parents, teachers, administrators, and community personnel in a literacy program.